Toto Drake II 1gal Vs 1.28

Users who are viewing this thread

Bernie A

Reaction score
Hi all,
I visited here before at the last toilet replacement. Great place, thanks!

Now it's time for another toilet of course. I am in California and on a septic tank, so I am attracted to the 1 gal model. However, I notice that it's the 1.28 that is on Terry's best list.

Any drawbacks to the 1 gallon model?

Also, the rough in distance for this application is 11 1/2" and every toilet I install is right up against the wall. Sometimes the tank cover doesn't fit properly. I keep hearing about adapters to adjust this but perhaps I should leave well enough alone. This is a very small bathroom and I probably don't want the toilet sticking out any further . Even 1/2 would be much with this elongated bowl.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Pardon me if this has been discussed before, I did a search but perhaps missed it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Drake II should fit fine on 11.5 inches, assuming you really mean 11.5 inches. It will be tight, but it should fit and the top of the tank should go on no problem. Toto specifies 5/8 inch behind the 1G Drake II. That said, the original Drake will fit fine on as little as 10 -7/8. So that is an option, too. The main difference between the 1G + 1.28 G is the stuff in the tank. The 1.28 uses a standard flapper system. The 1.0 uses a more complicated flush tower unit to precisely measure the water. Also, of course, they look different. The people who buy the 1G have typically sworn by it, and are amazed what it can do with just a gallon of water. However, they are usually predisposed to understand that it's not going to work exactly the same way as a 1.28. The water spot is going to be a little smaller and the flush will seem puny although very effective. You are saving 20% of the water volume, so there has to be some trade-offs, but almost all reviewers who got the 1G to save water are delighted with it. Somebody who was switching from a 5-gallon monster and didn't care about saving water might not be as happy.

Last edited:

Bernie A

Reaction score
Thanks so much the feedback. I am switching out from an earlier (I think)1.6 gal Kohler but every little bit helps in this situation. By the way, how can I tell the date on a Kohler? I may have to document this for my local water purveyor's rebate .

Thanks!

My wife is concerned that the 1 gal won't be up to the task. For reference in the other house we had the a Caroma Sydney 305 that we were happy with.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine, but just for clarification, the adapter you mentioned, are only used on specific Toto toilets that actually require their use. They are NOT universal fixtures.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My wife is concerned that the 1 gal won't be up to the task. For reference in the other house we had the a Caroma Sydney 305 that we were happy with.

Here's a thought. If she's looking to find fault with it, she will, regardless of the technical facts. If she's open-minded, and loves saving water, she will like it.

Here's a video of it flushing. Read the woman's complete comments (i.e. the "show more" section); she put nasty guacamole on and in the thing, and let it dry, and the toilet mostly got it off except for one dried bit. You're not going to let feces sit that long -- at least I hope not.

The flush seems underwhelming -- no big RUSH of water -- but it does the job and evacuates the bowl. Key things to take away from the video: Note the nasty green water with junk floating in it. Notice it all disappears and is replaced with completely-clear water, meaning the entire contents of the bowl was evacuated. Nothing left over.

Here's her review from the big retail site we don't talk about on here:

"We upgraded our toilet because our county offered a rebate for high-efficiency toilet upgrades. The toilet that came with our house was made in 1949 and gets clogged all the time. We initially planned on getting the Aquia dual-flush but we found out from local store clerks that "streaking" is a major problem. [MY EDIT: TOTALLY UNTRUE. NEVER TRUST THE GUYS IN THE STORE -- THEY KNOW NOTHING AND OFTEN GET COMPENSATED FOR SELLING PARTICULAR MODELS] It was also quite expensive - at least $200 more than this model. [ONLY AT RETAIL, AND THE ONE-PIECE COMES WITH A FREE SEAT.] We had a hard time deciding whether or not to buy this Drake model since we couldn't find reviews anywhere and my husband kept worrying that 1.0 gpf might not be enough water to do a clean flush.

Installation was pretty straightforward but my husband had to make a couple trips to the hardware store because he bought the wrong-size wax ring and hose. So make sure you measure everything once you take your old toilet off.

UPDATE (2/19/2013): We have been using the Drake toilet for 2 months now and we are very impressed with it. It does a clean flush each time. The cyclone flush swirls water around the sides of the bowl, thereby cleaning it. It's actually pretty cool to watch. The suction is amazing...in fact, we have gotten rid of our plunger for good. We initially thought that 1 gallon of water would be too little to do big jobs but we were mistaken! This toilet is also noticeably taller than our old one and we're loving it. We highly recommend this model.

We got the [TOTO SS114 Slow Close Seat] (sold separately) and we think it's great. No more slamming the toilet seat accidentally.

For the video demo, I used some spoiled guacamole. Normally, the toilet doesn't leave streaks/stains but I let the guacamole sit in it too long and it had actually dried out on the sloped surface. Hence the little stain left after the flush.

By the way, there is no reason for this toilet not to fit on your space, even if you're off by 1/8 or 1/4" in your measurements. Remember that the flange opening is 3" or 4", and the outflow pipe on the toilet is 2-1/8". Normally, you center that over the flange opening, but the reality is that it doesn't have to be, because there is more than 3/8" of space between the perimeter of the outflow hole and the perimeter of the flange opening. So you (or a smart plumber) can "cheat" the bowl forward as much as 3/8" by positioning the closet bolts a little further forward on the flange and taking advantage of the design of the openings for them in the porcelain. Most handi-hacks don't know or think of this. This is why you always dry-fit a bowl carefully, and put the cover on, to make sure you like how it sits before installing it permanently.

Last edited:

Bernie A

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond.
I'm off to buy this toilet!
Cheers,
Bernie

dannyb007

Reaction score
Here's a thought. If she's looking to find fault with it, she will, regardless of the technical facts. If she's open-minded, and loves saving water, she will like it.

Here's a video of it flushing. Read the woman's complete comments (i.e. the "show more" section); she put nasty guacamole on and in the thing, and let it dry, and the toilet mostly got it off except for one dried bit. You're not going to let feces sit that long -- at least I hope not.

The flush seems underwhelming -- no big RUSH of water -- but it does the job and evacuates the bowl. Key things to take away from the video: Note the nasty green water with junk floating in it. Notice it all disappears and is replaced with completely-clear water, meaning the entire contents of the bowl was evacuated. Nothing left over.

Here's her review from the big retail site we don't talk about on here:

"We upgraded our toilet because our county offered a rebate for high-efficiency toilet upgrades. The toilet that came with our house was made in 1949 and gets clogged all the time. We initially planned on getting the Aquia dual-flush but we found out from local store clerks that "streaking" is a major problem. [MY EDIT: TOTALLY UNTRUE. NEVER TRUST THE GUYS IN THE STORE -- THEY KNOW NOTHING AND OFTEN GET COMPENSATED FOR SELLING PARTICULAR MODELS] It was also quite expensive - at least $200 more than this model. [ONLY AT RETAIL, AND THE ONE-PIECE COMES WITH A FREE SEAT.] We had a hard time deciding whether or not to buy this Drake model since we couldn't find reviews anywhere and my husband kept worrying that 1.0 gpf might not be enough water to do a clean flush.

Installation was pretty straightforward but my husband had to make a couple trips to the hardware store because he bought the wrong-size wax ring and hose. So make sure you measure everything once you take your old toilet off.

UPDATE (2/19/2013): We have been using the Drake toilet for 2 months now and we are very impressed with it. It does a clean flush each time. The cyclone flush swirls water around the sides of the bowl, thereby cleaning it. It's actually pretty cool to watch. The suction is amazing...in fact, we have gotten rid of our plunger for good. We initially thought that 1 gallon of water would be too little to do big jobs but we were mistaken! This toilet is also noticeably taller than our old one and we're loving it. We highly recommend this model.

We got the [TOTO SS114 Slow Close Seat] (sold separately) and we think it's great. No more slamming the toilet seat accidentally.

For the video demo, I used some spoiled guacamole. Normally, the toilet doesn't leave streaks/stains but I let the guacamole sit in it too long and it had actually dried out on the sloped surface. Hence the little stain left after the flush.

By the way, there is no reason for this toilet not to fit on your space, even if you're off by 1/8 or 1/4" in your measurements. Remember that the flange opening is 3" or 4", and the outflow pipe on the toilet is 2-1/8". Normally, you center that over the flange opening, but the reality is that it doesn't have to be, because there is more than 3/8" of space between the perimeter of the outflow hole and the perimeter of the flange opening. So you (or a smart plumber) can "cheat" the bowl forward as much as 3/8" by positioning the closet bolts a little further forward on the flange and taking advantage of the design of the openings for them in the porcelain. Most handi-hacks don't know or think of this. This is why you always dry-fit a bowl carefully, and put the cover on, to make sure you like how it sits before installing it permanently.
Cheers,
Bernie
Cheers,
Bernie
How do you find the 1 gallon flush?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How do you find the 1 gallon flush?

ST453U is the 1 Gallon tank

drake-1g-03.jpg

ST454E is the 1.28 gallon tank.

st454e-terrylove-1.jpg

Len DIY

Reaction score
So do I understand correctly that the 1.28G and 1G Drake IIs use the same base (C454CUFG), but have different tanks (ST454E for 1.28G and ST453U for 1G)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks