New Toto Drake 1.28 is only releasing .93 gallons. How to adjust the flush with tank ST776EA#01?

Users who are viewing this thread

CBme

Reaction score
Really disappointed at the moment in my first Drake vs my older American Standard Vortex (which uses the Drake style flush but very different tank). First issue, which likely can't fix, is that it seems to have less water in the bowl so the more of the paper isn't getting saturated before flushing. Second issue, and the main point of disappointment, is isn't flushing solids or paper fully, even flushed seperatly. Though it turns out that is primarily because it is only flushing .93 gallons while the Vortex is doing 1.22. So it is releasing almost 30% less water than it should. I can hold it to get more but of course that is little irritating and not the 1.28 gallons expected when a user pulls the handle.

I'm not familiar with this type of flush valve and do not see any obvious way to adjust it. Of course the manual tells me nothing. Would appreciate any wisdom to help me make this thing work like to should.

SKU: MS776124CEG#01

CBme

Reaction score
I called Toto (as I don't see any other option other than the chat line which is only open for 3 hours a day..wtf?) and haven't gotten a call back. However I found this old thread that talked about a similar issue and led me to the adjustment area. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....d-i-have-to-hold-the-flush-lever.56174/page-2

The valve they have now is slightly different in that it only has 4 notches. Unfortunately this was already set at one from the bottom. Adjust it down one notch got about .11 more gallons but that still left it at 1.047 gallons per flush which is still 18% short and not enough to ensure solids have enough water.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would continue down the Tech support path. However, I would call rather than chat. I know a lot of their call agents are also their service techs too. I do Neorest repairs in your area for Toto and talk with them a lot.

CBme

Reaction score
I would continue down the Tech support path. However, I would call rather than chat. I know a lot of their call agents are also their service techs too. I do Neorest repairs in your area for Toto and talk with them a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion. They didn't call me back but after doing more testing and tweaking I realized that I was likely making a mistake in the measurement as I was measuring how much left the tank. But I wasn't counting how much the fill valve put into the the bowl. When I did that, it is close to 1.28 while my other toilet is closer to 1.45. Interesting the Vortex doesn't put as much into the fill valve but the water spot is better.

So then I was likely mistaken that the issue is the amount of water it is using and more that it simply doesn't work. It feels like the bowl was designed for 1.6 and they just slapped parts in the tank to make it a 1.28 per some states' current requirements.

Will give it a try having made adjustments to dump more water without holding the handle and will see how it does.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks