Thanks but no thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I got your letter. Call me and perhaps we can sort this out before things get a little out of hand?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Dear George III,
Stop by for tea sometime...
We'll have a chat...
The water of Boston Harbor lends it and excellent flavor...:D

Boston-Tea- Party.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I was just reading at Wikipedia and I think I see why the Brits lost...
They didn't want to fight...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolutionary_War

General Thomas Gage, in command of British forces in North America when the rebellion started, was criticized for being too lenient (perhaps influenced by his American wife). General Jeffrey Amherst, 1st Baron Amherst turned down an appointment as commander in chief due to an unwillingness to take sides in the conflict. Similarly, Admiral Augustus Keppel turned down a command, saying "I cannot draw the sword in such a cause." The Earl of Effingham very publicly resigned his commission when his 22nd Regiment of foot was posted to America, and William Howe and John Burgoyne were both members of parliament who opposed military solutions to the American rebellion. Howe and Henry Clinton both made statements that they were not willing participants in the war, but were following orders.

I love learning about history...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I think they were just politely saying that perhaps America was not worth fighting for. Hand guns. Overhead power cables. No public health care provision. Inadequate education funding. Failing infrastructure. It was all very primitive. Some might perhaps say it still is.

But seriously, we did have naval superiority at that time. It was on the land where things got tricky. If we had been playing you at 'home' we would have wiped the floor with you and everyone here would be sounding like the Geiko gecko. You could have scarcely won without French help.

You were a painful boil we so desperately needed to lance. I remain a loyalist through and through.

loyalist-landing.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian I found a special song just for you...

I'll be watching some friends of mine march in the 4th parade...
I love the sound of their drums...
A small bunch of guys can sound like a whole army coming... :eek:

Musta scared the hell outta them brits...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That ain't nothing compared to what we have in our back pocket.

All of this could have been avoided if you had just agreed to pay a little bit of tax.

Was that so much to ask?

A couple of dollars out of your pay checks to help the poor and needy.

And you could not even give them that.

I trust you received our reply to your "declaration"? We would like to return peace to our colonies and plantations. Come back to Papa.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks Ian I love those skirts they are wearing and those funny hats...
Is that a black bear riding on his head?:D

Today we will celebrate walking on ground once part of the declining empire and celebrate the running of the Brit's out of town by a group of hicks from Vermont...

Funny how we didn't just do it once either...;)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My Lords, and Gentlemen,

Nothing could have afforded Me so much Satisfaction as to have been able to inform you, at the Opening of this Session, that the Troubles, which have so long distracted My Colonies in North America, were at an End; and that My unhappy People, recovered from their Delusion, had delivered themselves from the Oppression of their Leaders, and returned to their Duty. But so daring and desperate is the Spirit of those Leaders, whose Object has always been Dominion and Power, that they have now openly renounced all Allegiance to the Crown, and all political Connection with this Country. They have rejected, with Circumstances of Indignity and Insult, the Means of Conciliation held out to them under the Authority of Our Commission: and have presumed to set up their rebellious Confederacies for Independent States. If their Treason be suffered to take Root, much Mischief must grow from it, to the Safety of My loyal Colonies, to the Commerce of My Kingdoms, and indeed to the present System of all Europe.

One great Advantage, however, will be derived from the Object of the Rebels being openly avowed, and clearly understood. We shall have Unanimity at Home, founded in the general Conviction of the Justice and Necessity of Our Measures.

I am happy to Inform you, that, by the Blessing of Divine Providence on the good Conduct and Valour of My Officers and Forces by Sea and Land, and on the Zeal and Bravery of the Auxiliary Troops in My Service, Canada is recovered; and although, from unavoidable Delays, the Operations at New York could not begin before the Month of August, the Success in that Province has been so important as to give the strongest Hopes of the most decisive good Consequences. But, notwithstanding this fair Prospect, We must, at all Events, prepare for another Campaign.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Where's my tea bags?
Oh, that's right, I drink coffee. Most of my relatives left England for good reasons.
One reason it the tradition that Englund is steeped in. We like new ideas and run with them.

index.php

This thread is just a nother example of beating a dead horse. Get over it Ian.
We left the "OLD" world for a reason.

I realize that this new world seems futuristic, but it's just people getting ideas and running with them.
A king or queen? why?
Are they that hard up for someone to look up to?
Around here, we have parents as role models. We don't need goofy people in a castle.
I would go there to visit, but live there?

Thank God I'm an American.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
We like new ideas and run with them.

We left the "OLD" world for a reason.

Yep. And look where it got us. Thanks America.

The reason those Indians look funny, is that YOUR Indians come from India, ours come from the New World, soon to be called the United States.

Rumour has it they were not Indians at all. But Americans who dressed up. I hope this is not true else I will be most displeased.

God Save the Queen.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer Jill Lawless, LONDON – Like millions of her subjects, Queen Elizabeth II is going to have to make do and mend — cutting spending and putting off palace repairs as royal finances are squeezed by Britain's budget crisis.

Accounts published Monday by Buckingham Palace reveal the total public cost of supporting the monarchy was 38.2 million pounds ($57.8 million) in the year to March 31, the equivalent of 62 pence (94 cents) per person. The total is more than 3 million pounds less than in 2008-2009.

Britain's public sector is facing cuts as the government tries to eliminate a record deficit, and Alan Reid, Keeper of the Privy Purse, said the royal household "is acutely aware of the difficult economic climate" and will be cutting costs and putting off essential maintenance.

The 84-year-old queen receives 7.9 million pounds of public money each year to pay for staff and other costs, an amount that has not risen in 20 years. The accounts show also drew an extra 6.5 million pounds from a reserve fund built up over the years by saving portions of her allocated budget.

If the queen continues to use money from her reserve at the current rate, the fund will run out by 2012 — the year she celebrates her 60th year on the throne.

She had been expected to ask for an increase in basic funding this year, but the government — which is bringing in deep cuts to welfare payments and spending programs — imposed a freeze until at least next year.

The accounts show the government spent more than 15 million pounds on the upkeep of royal residences including Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle, and almost 4 million pounds on royal travel. Both amounts were down from the previous year.

News of the royal cost-cutting did not satisfy the anti-monarchy group Republic, which held a protest outside Buckingham Palace on Monday.

Campaign manager Graham Smith said Britain's monarchy was the most expensive in Europe, and "continues to waste many millions of pounds of taxpayers' money when front line services are being threatened."

"It's time to slash the budgets without reservation or sentiment," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_britain_royal_costs

Looks like the queen better listen...
These things have a way of getting out of hand...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Ian, you seem to love coming on this forum bashing all things American, BUT you continue to live here. Why?

I like the place. I just question the ownership.

Are you sure it's not still the Colonies?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian, How is the Queen doing on her budget cutting...

She's not going to risk another uprising is she?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Redwood, I would prefer that you refer to Her Majesty the Queen as "Her Majesty".

And, for the record, Her Majesty's finances are doing just fine.

Although a little tea tax would help.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Look. Elizabeth has held titles throughout her life, as a granddaughter of the monarch, as a daughter of the monarch, through her husband's titles, and eventually as Sovereign. In common parlance, she is The Queen or Her Majesty. Officially, she has a distinct title in each of her realms: Queen of Canada in Canada, Queen of Australia in Australia, etc. In the Channel Islands and Isle of Man, which are Crown dependencies rather than separate realms, she is known as Duke of Normandy and Lord of Man respectively. Additional styles include Defender of the Faith and Duke of Lancaster.

When in conversation with the Queen, the practice is to initially address her as Your Majesty and thereafter as Ma'am.

Even in the Colonies. And in the plantations.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And in the US, we use the word queen in a much different way.
That's kind of funny.

Now we call our top dog, Mr or Mrs President, seems much more casual, but then we didn't really want a ruling class that would hand the job down to their kids.
The opportunity to change leadership to keep it honest and fresh was a new idea. Tradition is fine and all, but it's better to find the best man or woman for the job.
But then Queen or King isn't really a job, what is it really? So many countries have progressed past the need for momma or a poppa to look up to. It's beyond me why we would need someone wearing a crown to look up to, sort of like a miss Universe contestant that reigns for a year. At least they reign over an entire universe. That's way bigger.

Attachments

• stefania_fernandez.jpg
    stefania_fernandez.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks