Thanks but no thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Look. Elizabeth has held titles throughout her life, as a granddaughter of the monarch, as a daughter of the monarch, through her husband's titles, and eventually as Sovereign. In common parlance, she is The Queen or Her Majesty. Officially, she has a distinct title in each of her realms: Queen of Canada in Canada, Queen of Australia in Australia, etc. In the Channel Islands and Isle of Man, which are Crown dependencies rather than separate realms, she is known as Duke of Normandy and Lord of Man respectively. Additional styles include Defender of the Faith and Duke of Lancaster.

When in conversation with the Queen, the practice is to initially address her as Your Majesty and thereafter as Ma'am.

Even in the Colonies. And in the plantations.

Look Ian This is some serious stuff I was hoping for an answer to...

In this post https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...-but-no-thanks&p=263154&viewfull=1#post263154 I put up and article where rabble rouser's where protesting what it costs to keep Queen Lizzie or, any of those nonsense names you have listed where she is called funny names in places I haven't heard of before...

Is that all that is left of the once mighty British Empire?

Anyway I just wanted to be sure that your Queen Lizzie was cutting expenses in her house hold and not going to infuriate any angry mobs...

We know what happens when royalty snubs its subjects don't we...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Redwood. It's not that simple. The Queen actually does a lot of work for the country as an Ambassador, courting foreign investors, tourism, advising the Americans etc. So in pure cost-benefit terms the calculation is tight. Most of the time she benefits the country more than she "costs". But the "cost" issue is also very difficult to define. She owns a lot of wealth personally, but also holds a lot in trust for the State. Her Crown jewels for example. Some of the castles. They're not hers, she just looks after them for us, so it's only right that we contribute to their maintenance. The tax contribution is also only part of her income.

Saying all that, I'd rather have a thoroughbred than some of the less distinguished families you Americans decide to have rule them.

we didn't really want a ruling class that would hand the job down to their kids.

Hmmmm. The Bushes? The Clintons? The Kennedys? At least Reagon was a one hit wonder. Thank God. Hardly blue blood among this bunch of comedians though hey? I would have hoped the yanks could do better.

This is not what we envisioned with this experiment in "independence". I would like to take back control.

One Nation, under one God and one Queen.

At least give us back what was ours soon after America was "discovered". You can keep the West Coast. No disrespect. It's just too far away.

Very little would change. A little tax on tea perhaps and a little less for the greedy churches. Free healthcare for all. A decent edcuation for kids. And dignified unemployment benefits if you fall on hard times through no fault of your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Redwood. It's not that simple. The Queen actually does a lot of work for the country as an Ambassador, advising the Americans etc.

Saying all that, I'd rather have a thoroughbred than some of the less distinguished families you Americans decide to have rule them.

Yea I bet we pay a lot of attention to that advice....

I'd rather have a hardworking Irishman any day...
At least they work...

wmills

Reaction score
Look. Elizabeth has held titles throughout her life, as a granddaughter of the monarch, as a daughter of the monarch, through her husband's titles, and eventually as Sovereign. In common parlance, she is The Queen or Her Majesty. Officially, she has a distinct title in each of her realms: Queen of Canada in Canada, Queen of Australia in Australia, etc. In the Channel Islands and Isle of Man, which are Crown dependencies rather than separate realms, she is known as Duke of Normandy and Lord of Man respectively. Additional styles include Defender of the Faith and Duke of Lancaster.

When in conversation with the Queen, the practice is to initially address her as Your Majesty and thereafter as Ma'am.

Even in the Colonies. And in the plantations.

Good thing that we are Americans and not a colony. WE DO NOT WORSHIP ROYALTY. We respect that which earns our respect, and lizzie has not earned it.

Rehabber

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while, just had to comment. This may be news to you Ian, but the signers of 'that letter' were unique to the world. They were not a bunch of wild pirates or lunatics, They were wealthy, powerful, peace loving men. The 'letter' they signed was a document of treason - of which the punishment was a hangmens rope. Why would these men risk everything (their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor) The only thing I can think of is that they considered LIBERTY more important than security. Americans donate more to charity than any other country in the world. We just don't want to be forced to do it by a government we may or may not agree with. That is what has made America great,, unlike the 2nd world country you come from.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
They were traitors to the King and the states were in rebellion. The war was not so much about liberty but more that the Parliament of Great Britain governed them without representation. They claimed that this violated their Rights as Englishmen. Boo hoo.

Fast forward 230 years and another Englishman (me) sits in DC, where (and well I never) he together with his American neighbors, are also being governed without representation.

Not much has changed then.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is an option which you could take which would allow you to have representation...

However you have chosen not to exercise that option by your own choice...

Quit Cherbtchen!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
There is an option which you could take which would allow you to have representation...

As could the founding fathers.

We could have all just gone home.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Wow, that was easy. Now just sit and wait.

The Oath section is a little difficult for Loyalists to stomach though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
See how easy that was...

My Irish Great-Grandfather had no problems so why should you...

With hard work he prospered and ended up owning a very large potato farm up in Aroostook County, Maine...

When you become a citizen I'll come down to cheer for ya....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks