S-trapped on plumbing code

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by CarolinaCrew, Mar 12, 2013.

1. CarolinaCrew

CarolinaCrew New Member

I had a guy come by to install a gas line and he said that the inspector would ding me i he saw that my shower S-trap did not have a vent. Any suggestions on how to fix this before the inspector comes out? IMG_20130312_093740.jpg IMG_20130312_094010.jpg IMG_20130312_093843.jpg
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Judging by the wire going through the subfloor, there must be a wall there. The drain will need to be re-routed so that the vent can run up before the drain turns down.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

He can take out the horizontal double wye fitting at that time too. And the 3x2 fitting with the S trap should have been a wye fitting.
    Whoever attempted all of that was having problems with fitting types and alignment.
  4. CarolinaCrew

CarolinaCrew New Member

Thanks guys. I did the work myself. Guess I'm not as handy as i think. I'm not sure what you mean by 3x2 fitting? This is picture is from a different angle.
    IMG_20130312_161458.jpg
  5. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

6. CarolinaCrew

CarolinaCrew New Member

Thanks for the manuals. So how do you suggest I proceed?. I'm pretty sure I need to take out the S-trap. I not sure where to go after that. I'm close to giving up on this one. Might have to go to an electric stove.;) I appreciate all the help. Any more suggestions are welcome.

7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Since S traps are totally illegal in the US, I'd say, Yes, you do need to take S trap out. You also need a vent. Given the tight area to install the vent, and your lack of plumbing skills, my sincere advice is that you should call a plumber that can do this right.