CPVC for Tub Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
As you tighten, count the turns.

Let's say that you use a lot of tape initially. Your screw everything together, but there is a space between the chrome piece of the wall after you tighten. Then remove the piece, and when you re-do, use less tape. When you tighten, there should be a smaller, or no, gap.

If you screw it together, and you don't get increasing tightness before you hit the wall. In that case, disassemble, and re-do with more PTFE tape.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well we all have our ways but Im just saying some of these hand helds or even certain tub spouts can be a pain on finish.
What I dop is makesure that the female threads are deep enough in the wall that if an odball length nipple is needed I can either thread ( I never thread a nipple ) or build a nipple of copper with 2 adapters and short piece of pipe. I do a test run with a 6 inch nipple screw on the trim and determine by the gap how much shorter the nipple needs to be and then use either a standard nipple length or make my own from copper and fittings, Takes a bit of time but I dont carry a assortment of 1/2 brass nipples in my lunch box LOL. Ive had some close calls had to braze a female and male together recently would have been busting out tile to rework and regardless of the story they wouldnt be thinking nicely of me maybe even try to back charge .
Good Luck hoping to just make you aware you might have it all figured out hoping to help you or another

Bozo

Reaction score
Ok a new twist in my quest to renovate my bathroom. So I must had a misunderstanding with the salesperson at my local plumbing supply store when discussing my needs / requirements for my valve functions. I thought I asked for a valve for (3) devices that would operate (3) independent and provides shared functions. After more investigation (reading online) the Moen U232CIS does not shared functions.

I called the plumbing supply and talked to a rep they confirmed that the U232CIS would not support my needs. I asked if they had a Moen valve that would operate (3) independent and provides shared functions and be able to use my trim kit and they said yes they did the U362XS would fit my needs.

360_U362XS_24F_01.jpg.jpg

They had one with PEX connections readily available. My question is if anyone has had any experience with this valve or similar I'm assuming it's piped the same way but what needs to be modified for the shared functions as opposed to independent functions and will it share (3) shared at the same time or just (2) shared at the same time.

Also is there anything I need to know about the PEX materials or fitting in terms of preferred fitting material for PEX pipes like brass, stainless, plastic or crimping fitting type.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wait... before you change anything. I believe that the M-Core rough in valve that you have will work to provide 3 separate functions. What we call a 6 way diverter or 3 shared/3 independent. The only difference is in the cartridge and trim. We install more of the Delta brand version and that is how those work.

DESCRIPTION • Brass Construction • 1/4 turn stops on each inlet • Available with 1/2" CC/IPS, PEX, Cold Expansion PEX • Transfer valve outlets match inlet connection type • No tub outlet • 3 Function / 6 Function transfer valve OPERATION • Supplied Flush Plug allows testing up to 200 PSI with air (300 PSI water) • Installation in thin or thick wall applications • The valve is factory set for 2 showering devices but can be adjusted to accommodate 3 showering devices • Functionality: 2 independent / 1 shared or 3 independent / 3 shared CARTRIDGE • Mixing Cartridge is supplied in the M-CORE 3-Series trim kit • Includes 3 function / 6 function ceramic disk cartridge for transfer valve

Gagecalman

Reaction score
Turtles revenge is on to something. I looked up the parts.
I'm not a plumber so take this for what it's worth.
I'd call Moen and see if you can just replace the diverter cartridge . From the pics the housings looks the same.
It looks like the U232CIS uses a 200758 and the U362XS uses a 200759. Don't know if that is the only difference but if it is you won't have to start over.

Last edited:

Bozo

Reaction score
Wait... before you change anything. I believe that the M-Core rough in valve that you have will work to provide 3 separate functions. What we call a 6 way diverter or 3 shared/3 independent. The only difference is in the cartridge and trim. We install more of the Delta brand version and that is how those work.

DESCRIPTION • Brass Construction • 1/4 turn stops on each inlet • Available with 1/2" CC/IPS, PEX, Cold Expansion PEX • Transfer valve outlets match inlet connection type • No tub outlet • 3 Function / 6 Function transfer valve OPERATION • Supplied Flush Plug allows testing up to 200 PSI with air (300 PSI water) • Installation in thin or thick wall applications • The valve is factory set for 2 showering devices but can be adjusted to accommodate 3 showering devices • Functionality: 2 independent / 1 shared or 3 independent / 3 shared CARTRIDGE • Mixing Cartridge is supplied in the M-CORE 3-Series trim kit • Includes 3 function / 6 function ceramic disk cartridge for transfer valve

I'm not a plumber for forgive me if I ask any stupid question. I'm told that the U232CIS will provide (3) separate functions but not shared. The U362XS does:

OPERATION • Supplied Flush Plug allows testing up to 200 PSI with air (300 PSI water) • Installation in thin or thick wall applications • The valve is factory set for 2 showering devices but can be adjusted to accommodate 3 showering devices • Functionality: 2 independent / 1 shared or 3 independent / 3 shared

Are you suggesting like Gagecalman I can just change the M-Core diverter?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I stand corrected.
the 232 version can do 2 or 3 independent functions
the 362 version can do 2i/3 or 3i/6 shared function

This must be in response to states where only 1 shower of 1.8gpm max may operate at any time from a valve.

Gagecalman

Reaction score
So this is from the Moen parts lists:
U362 uses diverter cartridge 200759. 3 or 6 Function Cartridge (Includes Shared Function)
U232 uses diverter cartridge 200758. 2 or 3 Function Cartridge (No Shared Function)
Everything else looks the same. Call Moen.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Copy

Moen product spec says the nipple extends 3/8" out from the finished wall so I'll back set the drop ear 90 back to allow the 3/8" to extend out.

ABLVV85uU7pLUoL5wgoB3ANLBqNydeXtzSXbXLrO74G7GDSwm9b26_kwbBm_Tkkpn8C0JzUpZkS3nH5OvKXGepzDh2UnB-GTv2LYq6KP2xjJgpl314b4wq_JhbR0n3DQPadxqCVCeAztHQ2u5C6M63NLKokdpQdeeHFH4oqyoxBgfVUpAe3FggM8dxsdkL_WUwf5pQ2BbSS1RZ4bByp73bW_bbnT1elo0XDW0UwdNhU5hjj0a2ULVrpB7Npj7JIFTVaqsM2yZcjWH2WyIobd_KK64k-a3Ux6laViTpnqu9CJZIin-oiBz8ceENI6u1Eyz1X3Q_SxaWjEJ2Onb96jpG6rWrGZMq2q_zVNFvJJSyJpkZlAMKxDJUx4mILT5g-EJV-7ERrOU6Q31TpXtErOhzztOrT8B85p6im21_bcjRpKYirBDmw30WqbZttgY7GnuBsdtmuT1YB20qM9BVPGTrerUyKhPXjXDd9A7_zn_dspTjAetuPD_E3MRZeT20m3GTQ6YAv7b1q_DBlylJhtiB_P_dizUdtH2irz7_N-HDV7ST2z4XaSILURZa2P3nmKWEXgqahnrp3JCr8EX7ONx3-IfPoJAuGCjGJ67djSW4a9zJI_zS2JmtkeF5-RUEK8eblEtbjB06WHZ2upGYcD97t9udaqLO-qqaWo5fJfe8KKSvKkGbIkhbb2vJdLpFxrQHdwF6VXMOKSRCqILaGKOJJk-8ucR22NZOKkZMWaBIPyXio-Q0JMPi26d3v0aVV_IEkwd4liG1UKnqmcSxBRcNQHtt_s43qhQm99j1IVT7aWi4VQgD37-_hs_-G63Sl_zB014k3X1iQnjhqL83qDCwYQl6N0l-YZRrFyhFnKo1g7_8JbHCOvwCScLsXiOLmmOAtemrgzflgRIzC-r28_BfL7rF5eCQ=w742-h908-s-no
\
Well you know your job , I figure on longer nipple in case I have to custom build one . a 1/4 inch shorter or longer. I cant build a 1/2 inch nipple 1 1/4 inch long 1 1/8 long I dont know exact length of a close nipple

Bozo

Reaction score
Turtles revenge is on to something. I looked up the parts.
I'm not a plumber so take this for what it's worth.
I'd call Moen and see if you can just replace the M-Core diverter. From the pics the housings looks the same.
It looks like the U232CIS uses a 200758 and the U362XS uses a 200759. Don't know if that is the only difference but if it is you won't have to start over.
I'm not a (obviously) plumber also.

What part of the valve on this exploded list is the diverter. I assume you are talking about the cartridge correct?
ABLVV86ab1tg7j_k46UwIXr53BR1nPRr1A_RPXOzwp6_EiPc3yyylXRtmxVYSN4y6s3ilt9BQsLkhMpp3jGXm5p5gk1SZjbjCrWdcC0PkhQuxoLQUkXCQUtat904qJSs5ZFnszEozCkNoLX30zyYtpvGNz0DU_MlGO6B4EpLagbg_4uiMyo_WI4xCL8hXd6UGEI4VJ-zAb6wAVXdeMn5rSsp3shKSp14-fBLiFUjSrYwEuf7fxf-5EoGfCwblt9r6B0-zW9HvVekN4rSypGwKtuaMEJautnzJ-ZEihdUFUEIo08X9gGhgU-yPMoAXqnxe2FLWm3a_4FXnbVkJb4j-i2VEWkbmJema6mC_ys6gWXm-dfV85V4dadKwJ5B6gvE1EnRyB1Wkdk-ObnXx0_nqSzH183b4mJT8BbeBCZcPueISm_h5_UpFQJBR20BvHlc5tCqdLb71_0BAJffmWxqwX9VhRjX_ivLZjCnmBsXPJBXSGBONsSegj9AD_eVNrdvanZ-dCrq7letcXYzTaR3o7cHhQsqGqS-dy-i3CoqepGWRSy_4x7DkuQN83Kk6GWQuL3wt88P8zZiw1rzgLAYPnR02BZ5uGZ9pPxzIoO6ziIhNtSpVcIpiRMgiXA_v_jeCvThRlEkCher_MW6D7FfXYPh6qEnm_elJySk9nkjjN1rHgTMRjhnHzKXL8XCp67rKh8uy-1YGUyqNsHnfzM2dzj17VgJ3gBvDBfcDt0M_7g-k-IXbIeH2HFBl2pxsk8FFB32ZythQOQoeVLFDteZiIutfdDjYPzp_hhoxQNRBB7KwG3Xs37JZd7TK5O8GfEPo4_GQYmuEDS04WDlA0LxFhF8UkcEFz0E5FTr535cttBmNYKdx-SSSwnyJFbJ5YjOoLB8m-WKuePz4S-UweJDGm1x5cZFSg=w646-h836-s-no

Bozo

Reaction score
So this is from the Moen parts lists:
U362 uses diverter cartridge 200759. 3 or 6 Function Cartridge (Includes Shared Function)
U232 uses diverter cartridge 200758. 2 or 3 Function Cartridge (No Shared Function)
Everything else looks the same. Call Moen.
Called Moen and you are correct sir.............just switch the valve cartridge and shared functions are achieved.

Thank you!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never done it, but a quick google indicates that PVC cement is not rated for the heat that CPVC is and also may not be aggressive enough to properly weld the fitting to the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks