Old Brass "Mixing Valve" - Replacement Part Help?

Users who are viewing this thread

LCF

Reaction score
I've got an old bathroom with 3 handles for turning on hot, cold and shower. The valve in the wall that holds the handles and controls the water has all corroded. I had a plumber come out and he told me I need to replace this but didn't give me a part to order. He said when I receive it he will come and install it. I usually try to do these things myself but this was out of my comfort zone which is why I had him come out after the water kept leaking. Can anyone help me find a replacement for the same size valve. I don't care about the brand so long as I can buy all new handles, etc. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240127_154534.jpg
    20240127_154534.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240127_154514.jpg
    20240127_154514.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 36

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumber wasent much help I wouldnt replace that valve with an exact equal . Id get a single handle pressure ballanced valve with remodel trim plate.
Also unless the seats were not replaceable I kinda doubt that valve isnt rebuildable but just saying doubt but it seems 2 pieces of advice that a good chance neither is correct. My code wouldnt permit replacing that valve with an equal

LCF

Reaction score
Plumber wasent much help I wouldnt replace that valve with an exact equal . Id get a single handle pressure ballanced valve with remodel trim plate.
Also unless the seats were not replaceable I kinda doubt that valve isnt rebuildable but just saying doubt but it seems 2 pieces of advice that a good chance neither is correct. My code wouldnt permit replacing that valve with an equal

Thanks. Replacing with an equal is the only option. The valve itself actually corroded a hole through the brass wall on the inside of the part that seats the hot handle, so you cant turn the water on and off. Completely worn out unfortunately. If anyone knows a part number of where I could find one it would be great. I looked on SupplyHouse but not sure what I'm looking for.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
There are a handful of 'remodel' plates that will cover the existing holes, so you can use a single handle modern, pressure balancing valve.
Moen, Pasco and others make them.

shopping
DSe4584fa0-4e61-4c86-90a7-f0368f17bae5_1024x1024.jpg
shopping

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Here is one by Kohler. To be clear to have this be a code compliant install there will need to be a temperature limiting device installed with it. Like a thermostatic mixing valve, installed on the water heater or on the piping to just this shower. As stated above best option is a single handle pressure balanced valve with remodel plate.

LCF

Reaction score
Here is one by Kohler. To be clear to have this be a code compliant install there will need to be a temperature limiting device installed with it. Like a thermostatic mixing valve, installed on the water heater or on the piping to just this shower. As stated above best option is a single handle pressure balanced valve with remodel plate.
Thank you very much for the link. I'm glad to know that I have options to replace it exactly as it is. Fortunately, where I live there is no zoning or code enforcement, and I prefer to keep things exactly the way they are in my 300 year old home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks