Replace 1949 grey Crane toilet with...what?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by slantsixdan, Jan 10, 2010.

1. slantsixdan

slantsixdan New Member

Howdy, all. Can anyone point me at a good replacement for an original Crane toilet that's been in place since the house was built in '49-'50? It has begun to leak; I've turned off its supply valve but it has got to be long past due for replacement; its flush action is rather sluggish (sixty years' worth of silt in the trapway!) and uses, I donno, about seventy-five gallons per flush.

The difficulty is the house is in extremely original condition and we'd like to keep it that way; a modern-design toilet will look jarringly out of place. All the fixtures (lavatory, bath tub, toilet) in the washroom are Crane, and they're all "dove grey" (a medium neutral grey color -- does anyone make grey toilets any more?). What's needed is a toilet with upright, linear, angular, boxy styling. I've been to some manufacturers' websites, but the "ye olde tyme classique antique" type stuff I've seen will not suit; top-flared bowls, brass-ringed trip levers, bizarre curvy sculptured tank lids and other such frippery are all wrong for the era of the house.

The green toilet shown in this picture below isn't quite exactly what I have, but it's close:

[​IMG]

Help?

Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Grey is going to be pretty tough.

I can factory order gray in Toto,
    Also Kohler and A/S has gray.

It's a matter of calling sometimes and seeing what they have to ship.
  3. slantsixdan

slantsixdan New Member

Thanks much. There any hope of finding something even slightly stylistically appropriate?
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I'm thinking the Toto Dartmouth. It isn't exactly "old fashioned" in appearance, but it may be worth looking at. It's a great toilet, too!