Wall-hung toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

tsquared

Reaction score
I need some toilet advice. Two of the bathrooms in my house (which was built in the mid-seventies), have wall-mount toilets. I remodeled one of those bathrooms in the late eighties and was able to replace the existing wall-mount with a Kohler model (which was the same manufacturer as the original), and have been quite satisfied. I replaced the second wall-hung sometime around 2005, and Kohler was no longer making the wall-hung model. After much research, I used the Crane Rexmont model. I have not liked it at all. It clogs repeatedly and the flush is not that strong. Just to give an idea of my likes, after searching this site, I replaced all my other floor mounts with 1.6 gallon Toto’s, and have never looked back!! I only wish that Toto made a 2-piece wall-hung. My tank sits on the outside of the wall, and the only Toto wall-hung I can find is the type where the tank is in the wall similar to what you find in Europe. Having said all that, I now want to replace my Rexmont with a better wall-hung….if it exists. I have researched the Gerber Maxwell (not sure if the tank size is 1.6 or smaller), and the American Standard Glenwall (1.6 gallon). I understand that the Glenwall is a pressure assist flush. I had an unpleasant experience earlier with a Briggs Acuity pressure assist model, so I’m a little leery. I don’t know though, whether this is a good comparison experience to the Glenwall. I’ve also read on this site of the problems that American Standard has had with their leaking tanks. Have they corrected this issue in their newer models? I would appreciate any advice on what would be a good replacement for my Crane Rexmont wall-hung. Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the Gerber Maxwell wall hung as a replacement. And yes, the Crane Rexmont was junk. The trapway on the Rexmont was poorly done. It is so easy to plug them.
It's the same bolt pattern to make it an easy change out. It's 1.28 gallons, but you can always hold the handle just a bit longer if you want more water.

maxwell_wh_01.jpg

index.php

Last edited:

Meppo

Reaction score
I need some toilet advice. Two of the bathrooms in my house (which was built in the mid-seventies), have wall-mount toilets. I remodeled one of those bathrooms in the late eighties and was able to replace the existing wall-mount with a Kohler model (which was the same manufacturer as the original), and have been quite satisfied. I replaced the second wall-hung sometime around 2005, and Kohler was no longer making the wall-hung model. After much research, I used the Crane Rexmont model. I have not liked it at all. It clogs repeatedly and the flush is not that strong. Just to give an idea of my likes, after searching this site, I replaced all my other floor mounts with 1.6 gallon Toto’s, and have never looked back!! I only wish that Toto made a 2-piece wall-hung. My tank sits on the outside of the wall, and the only Toto wall-hung I can find is the type where the tank is in the wall similar to what you find in Europe. Having said all that, I now want to replace my Rexmont with a better wall-hung….if it exists. I have researched the Gerber Maxwell (not sure if the tank size is 1.6 or smaller), and the American Standard Glenwall (1.6 gallon). I understand that the Glenwall is a pressure assist flush. I had an unpleasant experience earlier with a Briggs Acuity pressure assist model, so I’m a little leery. I don’t know though, whether this is a good comparison experience to the Glenwall. I’ve also read on this site of the problems that American Standard has had with their leaking tanks. Have they corrected this issue in their newer models? I would appreciate any advice on what would be a good replacement for my Crane Rexmont wall-hung. Thank you.

Thanks for starting this thread. Hope I'm posting in the correct location. Have zeroed in on the Maxwell, but don't have a clear picture (nor does my contractor) as to how it is to be securely mounted to the wall. It will replace a 55 year old wall hung that was mounted on a massive steel bracket that will not accept the bolt holes of the Gerber. I've called Gerber for clarification but they haven't been any help. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most four bolt wall hung toilets use the same bracket spacing.

Here is a Glenwall spec, which also works for Maxwell.

glenwall_instruction_1.jpg

The bolts are 9" on center across and 7.5" on center vertical.
A normal rough for the waste is at 4-1/4" off the floor.
The lower bolts center on the waste line.

Greg Jones

Reaction score
I have a few questions around this topic. I have an old wall hung toilet that I am replacing. Purchased a new Gerber toilet (bowl and tank). I'm guessing the way my old toilet was mounted with the bolts was incorrect. There is some kind of vinyl washer, followed by a stainless washer.. a nut and then a chrome acorn nut on all four bolts and all on the outside of the toilet (see picture). I don't know what kind of carrier the original toilet used but have attached a couple of pictures.

IMG_1657.JPG
IMG_1653.JPG

I see this is not the recommended process after reading some of these posts. I'm not sure if I need all new bolts/washers for the new toilet or not (and if so where to get them!).

IMG_1684.JPG

The holes in the Gerber are about 1 1/4" so the acorn bolt goes right thru them unless I have either of the washers on first (not sure which one goes against the wall and which one would go with the acorn bolt). My stainless washer is only 1.5" OD giving only a 1/4" overlap with the toilet holes. I'm concerned the bolts/washers are not big enough for the Gerber. Can you explain why only 3 of the bolts are supposed to used flush with the wall instead of all 4? Lastly, I was going to use a zurn 1200-neoseal gasket. Will that work for my application? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There should be backing washers behind the bowl. The bowl doesn't touch the wall, but rests against a backing nut with washer.
Then the porcelain.
On the room side, the vinyl washer if you have one, then the large washer and then the nut.
We sometimes pick up new washers and nuts at a hardware store.

When installing the bowl, you can tighten three nuts fairly tight, the forth is only hand tight, otherwise you stand a very good chance of breaking the bowl when you go to tighten the 4th nut.
Think 3 legged stool vs 4 legged. Three points will always work, but add the 4th and one can rock.

Zurn makes a nice neopreme seal for that.

chalet-532.jpg

Last edited:

Jaybee2u

Reaction score
H
There should be backing washers behind the bowl. The bowl doesn't touch the wall, but rests against a backing nut with washer.
Then the porcelain.
On the room side, the vinyl washer if you have one, then the large washer and then the nut.
We sometimes pick up new washers and nuts at a hardware store.

When installing the bowl, you can tighten three nuts fairly tight, the forth is only hand tight, otherwise you stand a very good chance of breaking the bowl when you go to tighten the 4th nut.
Think 3 legged stool vs 4 legged. Three points will always work, but add the 4th and one can rock.

Zurn makes a nice neopreme seal for that.
HI, I have two questions related to a 1960 Era Glenwall toilet. I have 4 in a house I purchased, and I'd like to keep them. It appears the flush mechanisms were replaced with box store generic flush kits, which might explain why the flush seems so slow. First, can I get the correct replacement flush system? It appeared flush master didn't make one for AS.
Second...one of the toilets appears to be installed much lower than the others...in fact, too low...the base is about resting on the floor. But it would appear to be a major issue to open the wall to raise the bracket and change the waste connection. Any comment on this? thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 1960 American Standard wall hung toilets had the large tank, and very slow flush. My parents had one of those. Easy to plug up too.
Fluidmaster makes a toilet rebuild kit that works for that. It won't improve the flushing though. The 60's Glenwall is a gravity tank and bowl. A Flushmate wouldn't work at all on that old bowl. It takes about five gallons to flush those things, not the 1.6 that the Flushmate puts out.

They were a low bowl anyway. For my 99 year old mother, I replaced her Glenwall with a Gerber Maxwell wall hung and picked up 1-1/2" inches in height.
The bowl of the Gerber on a standard 4-1/4" rough is 16-1/8"
The Glenwall was more like 14-1/4", much too low for someone with a new knee and hip.

maxwell_wh_wood.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have the wrong acorn nuts which is why you need the larger washers. The proper nuts have an integral washer that increases their diameter. The "hex nuts" go on the bolts BEHIND the toilet with additional washers between them and the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks