New Whole House Carbon Filter & Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
A 10" X 35" tank is suitable for 1 cuft of resin + gravel, but it is still only 1 cuft.

If you are willing to install a 10" diameter tank, then at least obtain a 10" X 54" tank for 1.5 cuft of resin. If you installed the flexible connectors linked in post #71, you could then move the softener slightly to the left IF there is interference with the humidifier duct. Even if the softener sits slightly in front of the water heater, the flexible lines would permit moving the softener into the walkway temporarily while accessing the WH.

Last edited:

lepa71

Reaction score
The water softener is right under the the air duct. Here is where it would touch it. I can't move humidifier higher because of the the thing above humidifier's top(marked in red).

20160322_145113_marked.jpg

lepa71

Reaction score
A 10" X 35" tank is suitable for 1 cuft of resin + gravel, but it is still only 1 cuft.

If you are willing to install a 10" diameter tank, then at least obtain a 10" X 54" tank for 1.5 cuft of resin. If you installed the flexible connectors linked in post #71, you could then move the softener slightly to the left IF there is interference with the humidifier duct. Even if the softener sits slightly in front of the water heater, the flexible lines would permit moving the softener into the walkway temporarily while accessing the WH.

I think I'm ok with 1 cuft softener. My concern was that 9x48 tank is V≈3053.63 and 10x35 is only V≈2748.89. So I thought 10x35 would be too small for 1 cuft. My preference would be a 10x44 tank and I can ask to put 1.25 cuft. This way I can still have 11x11 brine tank with grid and I still would be able to put 120lb salt in it.

What do you guy think about upflow vs downflow regeneration? Is it true or just a marketing thing in this picture http://www.discountwatersofteners.com/water-softeners/on-demand-softeners/fleck-softeners.html?p=2

I assume genesis is Canature. Right?

_John_

Reaction score
I think I'm ok with 1 cuft softener. My concern was that 9x48 tank is V≈3053.63 and 10x35 is only V≈2748.89. So I thought 10x35 would be too small for 1 cuft. My preference would be a 10x44 tank and I can ask to put 1.25 cuft. This way I can still have 11x11 brine tank with grid and I still would be able to put 120lb salt in it.

What do you guy think about upflow vs downflow regeneration? Is it true or just a marketing thing in this picture http://www.discountwatersofteners.com/water-softeners/on-demand-softeners/fleck-softeners.html?p=2

I assume genesis is Canature. Right?

yes, Canature.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you read up on a turbulator. Start with post 7 on https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/softener-settings.50779/
I have never seen a turbulator.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you saying I should ask if the guy uses turbulator in 10x35 tank? Thanks
No. I would figure out what is the biggest tank that I could use, and then find out if I can put more media in that tank if it used a turbulator.

Your measured 60 inches is 3 inches shorter than my fleck 5600SXT system that uses a 10x54 tank. So I guess I might be asking if I could provide me ssoftener a 10" x 44" inch tank and put 1.5 cuft of resin in my softener if I used a turbulator, or should I stick with 1.25?

I will message you a link that offers 1.5 cuft and says "10x54 Resin Tank (10x44 Tank with Turbulator)".

Sounds worth investigating I think.

lepa71

Reaction score
@Reach Thank you for PM.

This my line of thought. Clack WS1 valve itself is about 6-7". If I use 48" tank with 7" valve I would be 5" away from hot air duct. I don't know how hot that humidifier air duct gets, but it's hot. You would be able to keep your hand on it for more than 1 second. I don't want plastic to melt so now I have a choice go with 10x35 tank with Clack or go with Fleck 5800LXT with 10x44. Fleck does not have restrictions to sell unit to the public as one unit.

It seems that nobody can get me a 10x44 tank with Clack. I even asked Robert Hill and they could I would have to buy the whole truck of it.

Some new information and more questions
I talked to another guy who sells HellenBrand E3 units and he can get a 10x40 tank( I think he can get any size from hellenbrand if I would ask him)
What do you think about HellenBrand E3? I think it's a Clack.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
If I use 48" tank with 7" valve I would be 5" away from hot air duct. I don't know how hot that humidifier air duct gets, but it's hot.
I think you are being overly concerned. Think about metal chimney pipes that are allowed to touch wood.... just two sheets of metal separated by a few inches. You could readily make a heat shield if it bothers you... and I can tell it bothers you. Easier still, consider heat duct insulation over the part that worries you.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Hellenbrand uses a proprietary Clack Valve, superior to the other companies equipment mentioned... Upflow vs downflow... sigh, I hate this topic... :)

On paper, downflow is superior but.. ask any guy who works on softeners, they will tell you downflow is the way to go. Simpler, no fluidization problems, no headaches, no eird problems in the future, just stick with downflow. We do a lot of upflow units for companies, they are always far more trouble than they are worth. The companies that use the upflow love the marketing aspect of it, and as stated, on paper it is a superior way to regenerate a system. Only on paper...

lepa71

Reaction score
It kind of does bothers me. Wood is not going to melt, but the plastic will. I have 2 guys that I like. I will ask them to come over and look at it and see what they think. One of them looked at the pictures and kind of agreed with me, but told me without seeing it he can't tell for sure. This is the one who can do 9x48 or 10x35 tank. I will ask him if he uses turbulator in 10x35.

Hellenbrand E3 guy with 10x40 tank want too much $1150 + $50 to recycle and 2 other guys are selling Clack for total $950. Do you think E3 worth more?

What do you guys think about http://www.discountwatersofteners.com/logix-on-demand-48-000-grain-water-softener.html Thanks to Reach4 for find.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks