Downflow/Upflow Conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

vuu

Reaction score
The house I purchased last year has what looks to be a Canature BNT 89 UF water softener system, which I believe was installed in 2019. A few months ago, it began leaking a large amount of water and after disassembling/inspecting I found a tiny crack in the end plug (see A17 in attached image) of the piston assembly, I have been unable to find a replacement for this part since that time. So I figured I could just purchase either a Clack WS1 or Fleck 5600SXT control valve and swap out the standard down flow pistons, injectors, and flow controls for upflow. I also planned to just copy settings from the BNT89UF control valve onto to the new control valve.

However, after reading through the service manuals for both, it seems that I may also need to purchase a new valve body for either of those control valves. This seems especially true for the Fleck 5600SXT since the inlet and outlet valves are swapped when going from DF to UF. Is this really the case for the Clack WS1 as well? It's not clear to me since under the injector cap of the WS1 there are two ports labled UP and DN and the manual suggests that UF/DF configuration is determined by which ever port has the injector installed.

So I guess my questions are:

- For the Clack WS1, can I just swap the injector position to control the UF/DF configuration?
- If not, why does the standard WS1 valve body seem to give the option to swap injector postion between the DN and UP ports?
- Has anyone ever done anything like this? If I do decide to continue with this upflow configuration I will just purchase the upflow valve body if required and move the internals because it does appear to be a straight forward swap, is that a wrong assumption?
- Is it better to just change my system to downflow? I had planned on sticking with upflow since that's the current setup and I thought this would be best way to do a drop-in replacement with minimal change to existing configuration, but upflow seems to be way less common/supported. Would I need to change any configuration with distributor pipe in the tank?

1711128274590.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks