Is there a class action lawsuit against Kitec piping?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ultimachi, Aug 26, 2006.

1. ultimachi

ultimachi New Member

Oh YES!!! Exactly what I've been waiting for. Couldn't have been better timing. The homeowners insurance is ready to settle, and the warranty company is avoiding my requests for action. I'm starting to get tired of this. Do I still have to hire a lawyer even though this lawsuit is in motion?

Anyway to find out if the previous owner would have known about the problem but not disclose it to me when I bought the house? Who do I need to contact? Thank you all for your help.
  2. Fishy smell. Welcome to this web site.

i agree with Master plumber Mark, that this thread smells fishy. Welcome to the World's Friendliest Plumbing Shower and Remodeling web site, but still I find it hard to belive that the man named Ultimachi hasn't called Kitec or Ipex to talk to them, and then told us about it. The pictures are grainy, he hasn't described them, and we can't see in 3D what the problem might have been. When he said he had been without water for two weeks, it was more like six weeks since his first post when he already had the problem. He didn't say which city he is in; yet he would like to know about liability in real estate transactions (which varies based on local law). His description of what the Warranty compnay has said, is sketchy. His description of what the plumbers have said, is bare-bones. I find it hard to believe that a plumber would lie, or fabricate an answer, about what he can do when sent out by a firm that would track him later.

That'll be enough. For the record. :)

I hope the Kitec Ipex people, who are being blasted the most here, manage to get a word in somehow. The fittings that were recalled is a known issue that the firm faced up to readily, as far as I am aware.

If I'm too harsh, forgive me in advance; no warring please. PM me.

David
  3. serge

serge New Member

? this is really really odd.....

:confused:

I just called Cox&Sons plumbing in Las Vegas and they don't know anything about this lawsuit......

There some rotten fish around here.

4. Did you direct them to this site and the source URL so they can do something about it?

You can run but you cannot hide - Peter Frampton
  5. Davebirka-white

Davebirka-white New Member

Kitec Piping

We are class action attorneys who specialize in defective building materials. We have extensive experience in defective plumbing pipe, specifically the ABS pipe cases involving 5 manufacurers. These cases took place over a period of 15 years and homeowners are still being paid under the class action settlements. We work closely with plumbing experts and materials experts and have for many years. If the homeowner who is having the problem with the Kitec pipe would like to discuss this problem further, we can be reached at www.birka-white.com or 415-616-9999.
  6. ultimachi

ultimachi New Member

I don't get it.....you think I would sign up on a plumbing site just to lie about my pipes busting? And a plumber wouldn't lie? Maybe not, but what it looks like is that none of them wanted anything to do with repairing this piping. They suggested a complete repiping of the whole house. To me it seems that they don't want to jeopardize their business by repairing faulty piping, which I totally understand. I'd be the same way.

Now I'm speaking to one of the attorneys handling this class action lawsuit. He's sending me all the paperwork needed to get in on the lawsuit. He stated that my house will have to be repiped.

What do you want me to explain about the pics? I told you guys what happened, and took pics of the damage. You're sitting here jumping to conclusions without any evidence to backup your accusations. I'm here to get some advice and input from people.....not to troll around and make fake threads about my water pipe blowing out in a barely decade old house.

As far as Kitec getting a "word" in about their product......who cares? The fact that between 35,000-50,000 homes in Las Vegas, NV alone are affected by their crappy pipe fittings makes any "word" they say redundant. And as far as speaking to Kitec....no I haven't. I tried looking everywhere for some type of contact info, but to no avail. I even called the number in the link for Chuck Walters and left a detailed voicemail.....never received a call back.

Anyways, I appreciate everyone that helped me out. I will still refer back to this thread in the time being for new advice.
  7. my mistake then

ok. i must be mistaken.

don't let me, one guy, spoil your experience with the whole site.
  8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I just sent the link to Ipex for comment.

It's only fair that they know what is being posted here so they can comment.
    I myself, have no personal experience with the product, I use another brand that my local supplier carries.
  9. Mahybar

Mahybar New Member

Class Action against Kitec

I jst found out through the mail that I am involved in a Class Action lawsuit against Kitec. There are about 35,000 - 50,000 homes in Las Vegas that are affected by this defect of Kitec. The website is plumbingdefect.com.
  10. Maggie M

Maggie M New Member

Are you kidding? There is a massive class action lawsuit filed against not only IPEX, manufacturers of KITEC but also agains all of the plumbers in our area (Clark County, NV) inb addition to that the plumbing wholesalers have also been named in the suit. There are aproximately 2500 homes involved just in my development alone plus another 50,000 homes with Kitec plumbing in the Las Vegas Valley alone.

Personally I have not had any problems (knock wood) as yet. There have been only a few homes in our development that have had a problem, but some of the houses are only 2 years old. The developer switched to a different system in late 2004 so none of the additional 3,000 homes built have them same plumbing systems.

My daughter who lives in another area of this valley actually had a major break and water literally poured down 20+ feet of entry tile. The first and all subsequent plumbers they called all said the same thing: "won't touch it because it is KITEC and there are too many liabilities".

The good news for us is that our builder (Pulte) is offering a settlement, but their are other implications in accepting the settlement. Our daughter just has to wait it out too see what happens. Her builder did fix her plumbing but did not replace anything, she and her husband are waiting to see what happens because the quote to replumb her house was $30,000.
  11. Maggie M

Maggie M New Member

There is a massive class action lawsuit filed against not only IPEX, manufacturers of KITEC but also against several of the plumbers in the Las Vegas area, (including Cox & Sons) in addition to that the plumbing wholesalers have also been named in the suit. There are aproximately 2500 homes involved just in my development alone plus another 50,000 homes with Kitec plumbing in the Las Vegas Valley alone.

Personally I have not had any problems (knock wood) as yet. There have been only a few homes in our development that have had a problem, but some of the houses are only 2 years old. The developer switched to a different system in late 2004 so none of the additional 3,000 homes built have them same plumbing systems.

My daughter who lives in another area of this valley actually had a major break and water literally poured down 20+ feet of entry tile. The first and all subsequent plumbers they called all said the same thing: "won't touch it because it is KITEC and there are too many liabilities".

The good news for us is that our builder (Pulte) is offering a settlement, but their are other implications in accepting the settlement. Our daughter just has to wait it out too see what happens. Her builder did fix her plumbing but did not replace anything, she and her husband are waiting to see what happens because the quote to replumb her house was $30,000.[/QUOTE]
  12. crimsonfyre

crimsonfyre New Member

kitec lawsuit

This is the first i've learned of the lawsuit, i'm curious about the lawsuit. it doesnt really say if the fittings are red or yellow brass. I'm assuming most of the problem is inside so it would be yellow brass.
  13. $ 30,000 ???

That seems a little high.....

For $25,000 and plane fare,

I will fly out to Las Vegas and

do the job myself....... are they re-doing the house in gold pipe??

your daughters house simply cant be that difficult.

(maybe I am wrong)
  14. I think it has to do with more than just the pipe. It has to do with

dismantling the plumbing system.......which involves no water lines for a number of days, it would be a matter of hours if you are dumb enough to put that kind of pipe back in.

Walls will be opened, new holes have to be drilled because I'm sure the owners want NOTHING of the same going back in.

All walls/ceilings/trim/wallpaper/demolition costs/materials to put back I believe is in those equations.

And if mold is found.......forget it.......the number isn't high enough.

It's okay for plumbers on forums boards to know the baskinrobbins 31 flavors of PEX piping and what crimp rings go with what and which ones are no longer made but

take into consideration that the average homeowner doesn't, and that is a fact. So aaaaaaaaaaaallllll these plumbers promising fast and easy and saves the homeowner money........this very thread along with a growing number of pex piping issues stemming from its growing use indicates that the coming years will definitely enforce why some are still skeptical of its use.

It's okay to use this piping unless you are a victim of its problems...at least that is what a majority of these plumbers are spouting off these days. Count me out in the majority of opinion.

Even though this particular piping doesn't have issues with the piping itself YET, it's the fittings that failed (PB ring a bell?)
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  15. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

In the pictures in this thread and on the web sites shown, there is absolutely no evidence of any failure of the pipe/tubing; only the fittings and they are said to have a manufacturing defect.

Additionally, IMO the type tubing used (containing aluminum) was meant for hydronic heat systems, not potable water lines but I may be wrong on that. The aluminum in contact with the brass is said to have caused the corrosion leading to that failure. I see A LOT of corrosion in the cut away pictures, and it looks like hardness scale rather than dissimilar metals corrosion build up. Las Vegas has some very hard water.

So blaming the pipe is ridiculous, misguided and based on unfounded fears of the uninformed.

Also, this problem seems to be in a limited area; at least I don't think the problem is national. Unlike pinhole in copper tubing caused water damage that is nationwide except for limited areas and really has no solution other than a total replumb of the building.
  16. Downhome

Downhome New Member

Kitec Las Vegas

I too have been receiving information by mail regarding this lawsuit. What I don't know is whether or not my home actually has this defect or how to find out.

17. Did you take the time to even read my reply?

Other than a driver's license......do have any license in the profession of plumbing to back up your analogies regarding piping systems?

Do you realize that whenever plastic piping fails ONCE AGAIN you are the first to defend it? You're predictable......and oh let's not forget NSF61....

copper pipe killing everyone and even though code approved and lasts 70 plus years AND COUNTING

Aren't you the same person in another thread stating that a PVC glue joint should have absolutely no none notta any excess glue?

Aren't you the same person that stated you never use fittings, you pull all the pipes into position?

You have not a word of sympathy for any of these poor homeowners who unknowingly became victimized by a piping system that can literally run into the millions.

You'd think by now you'd realize that plastic water line systems are plagued with repeated failures......class action lawsuits, property damage claims, financial strife to those who have no clue what they've embarked upon because the homeowner is unknowledgeable to the facts of certain products.....the cause and effects that can prove harmful to both life and checkbook.

I'm sorry............sorry my dog's water bowl is getting more activity than your website.......the idle time spending it with me trying to discredit is back to the reason why you are banned from so many websites for your ignorance.

You could learn a lot from GSchreiber, CWS VI (MN), the guy is in the same business as you, doesn't EVER follow your antics and the guy is a think tank. I have a TON of respect for him and his profession and all the members on all the sites enjoy his professionalism. A great asset.

He knows his product and that is why he's a longstanding member on numerous sites like myself, giving to others without reward.

Digging up bones with me will not get you back on those websites you was removed from mainly by the administrators, not me chump.

I'm sure you are just sore because since your intent is mainly to make money off others being here in forums, the loss of 7 websites = loss revenue.

Now back to my cheese puffs you interrrupted me from eating.
  18. lol

I hear gary typing :p
  19. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Yes I read your reply and replied to what you said and as usual, you go off emotionally and get personal but don't debate your position. And yes I commented on your wiping plastic cleaner on cement reply in another thread.

And here you go again... wrong as usual. Schreiber is the Mid-West US sales manager for Purolite (resins, he's there 25+ yrs), he doesn't sell equipment. He is an ex Culligan salesman (20 yrs). He rarely helps anyone troubleshoot their broken equipment or tells them anything other than to buy locally and to get more water tests done, but he knows resins.

Yeah my dinky web site only averages 1200 unique visitors per month. I still use phpBB2 while yours is busted and you went and formed another forum with a different software and it has NO traffic since what, Aug was it? I only sell at least one major piece of equipment every day of the month; that's about 20k per month at my prices. As of tonight I have a $5700+ month already while you eat cheese puffs and put on another 40 lbs and whine.

And since you got me banned from other forums as you now admit because I disagreed with you about your denying copper tubing and pinhole leaks, I have more free time and business continues to boom. So thank you, my wife really appreciates it.
  20. Oh Gary

How did I know you was going to post your quarterly reports for me?

FYI, I don't own nor have any financial stakes in any forum website; just admin and moderate. I left the site you speak of months ago because the owner refused to switch to Vbulletin like I asked for.

Do a check on your member list on your site...along with any other phpbb forum base and you'll see that you have tons of spammers just dying to get on your boards and link out their product.

If it works in your head that you "think" I called the shots on your removal, go ahead. Still can't figure out why you think sites I wasn't even a member at (2 of them) had anything to do with me.

I gotta go,

I got other issues right now, issues about my new $59 microwave NOT cooking my corndogs fast enough. Priorities folks.......priorities.