Installed a new outdoor faucet, but there's nothing behind it to screw into...

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Brick is always tough. I don't like "gluing" them in though. It's a bitch if you need to replace it next time. I like to secure from the back side (inside wall) and then use some caulking on the brick side.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the hole is too big or too irregular to make a nice fit, I roll up a snake out of plumber's epoxy and drape it around the spigot behind the flange, then press it in. Pre-fit some kind of stick to hold it in place while it sets up, @ fifteen minutes. Give it a few minutes and cut away the excess before it gets too hard.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed two spigots yesterday on a Propex repipe. The second one went through the same hole as the original spigot. The hole was way bogged out, and I needed something to fill the space around the spigot, to exclude bugs, and hold the spigot in place. The epoxy snake took care of all that.
On the first spigot, the penetration had to be moved down the outside wall on account of the fact that the original feed pipe went up through the bottom plate, then up in the wall for a foot or so, then out through the sheathing and lap siding to the outside. I couldn't duplicate the route of the original pipe, so I drilled through the band down lower and abandoned the original pipe. I preassembled the spigot and propex adapter and pipe, and pushed it through the hole from the outside to connect to the main near the PRV in the basement ceiling. The useful piece of information in all this is the fact that the spigot with its adapter and compression ring fit perfectly in a 1" hole drilled in the siding. That left plenty of room for the two screws for the sill cock to get a good hold in the siding.

Reach4

Reaction score
Plumbers putty would not be the material of choice. Use caulk if you want something soft. Use morter mix if you want to make something hard, but don't fill the whole space with morter mix, in case you want to change the spigot out some day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks