Can I do this, (vent stack), and this, (aux WH)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Artie

Reaction score
This #1: This house originaly had a flat roof over a carport. Some previous owner enclosed the space and added a gable roof. Unfortunately, they didn't extend the washer vent stack above the new roof line. If I extend it straight up, it will show at the front of the house. Can I do a little "dog-leg", so that it will exit on the rear of the house?

roof-vent.png

This #2: I have 2 baths, and a kitchen sink that are all located close together. All the plumbing is in one wall. However, the water heater is in a utility/laundry room approximately 30 ft. away. Takes forever to get hot water. Can I add a small (6 - 10 gal.) aux water heater, fed by the main WH hot line, to provide more-or-less "instant" hot water? (Red circle.) I figure, since it will be fed by hot water, it will use a minimum amount of power, since it only needs to maintain the heat.

water-heater.png

Thanks all;
Artie

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can i do this ?

Yes you can !

And we can help you to do it right TO BOTH THE VENT AND THE AUX. WTR/HTR

Artie

Reaction score
1. Thank you
2. Thank you

And thanks for the offer to help. Thats why I hang out here. I believe both jobs are fairly straightforward, but if I run into any snags, I'll be sure to ask. ;)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Yes, to both, but you are incorrect on the power for the heater. That cold water in the pipe which you now have to run down the drain will NOT suddenly go away. It will be inside the "instant" heater, which means two things.
1. There will be a reduction in water temperature as the cold water mixes with the hot in the tank, cooling it down, and;
2. You will use energy to heat that cold water back to the heater's set temperature.

Artie

Reaction score
Yes, I'm taking that into account. The pipe run is actually closer to 27'. With 3/4" CPVC, that works out to about 11 cubic inches of water. Thats less than a half of 1% of a 10-gal heater. And still less than 1% of a 6-gal unit. Even if we have to make a slight temp adjustment after the water starts, it still beats waiting a minute or so for hot water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks