Woodford (model 14?) nozzle threading

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jbnc, Jun 3, 2014.

1. jbnc

jbnc New Member

We're renting an older home and a couple of weeks ago, I went to hook up the hose to the spigot out front (after researching I think is a Woodford Model 14) and it wouldnt screw on. The threading on the nozzle appeared to be worn down on the side but after further inspection, it looks the same way on the other side. The threading on both sides is flat and I assumed that was what was preventing the hose from screwing on. We figured the previous tenants must've accidently took an adapter with them so I had the maintenance guy come out and he said he thought it might need a vacuum breaker or a backflow preventer (which I had never heard of before this ordeal) so based on pictures I saw online, I ordered a LASCO 05-1771 to give it a try... didn't fit. Finally, I went to a plumbing supply store and talked to a guy who's been in the business for 35 years and when I showed him pictures, he said he's never seen threading like that in all his years. He recommended I try two parts ("LF 3/4 BRS COUP" and "LF 3/4 MIP x 3/4 MHT BRS HOSE ADPT" - thats the description on the receipt. I haven't a clue what they are actually called). As expected, they didn't screw on either. Have a look and let me know what you think. At this point, I'm out of ideas on what we need to make this work. Before I campaign to have the rental company replace the entire spigot, figured I'd ask online to see if there are any ideas. Thanks for your help!

2014-05-09 11.03.01.jpg 2014-05-09 18.28.01.jpg 2014-05-09 11.02.37.jpg

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You could try dressing up the thread grooves with a small triangular file. It is not the threads that hold the water in.

However replacing the spigot might be easier depending what is on the end of that frost-free spigot.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You could try dressing up the thread grooves with a small triangular file. It is not the threads that hold the water in.

However replacing the spigot might be easier depending what is on the end of that frost-free spigot.

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    If it were my home, I would replace the entire hosebib and be done with it.

Looking at it twice, I will also vote for, I have never seen threads like that before. It doesn't look like a hose would have ever threaded on those.
    I feel that something is missing here :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  7. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    That "conical" end implies that whatever screwed on to those threads, probably a Woodford proprietary vacuum breaker, was NOT a run of the mill item. If it was for a hose or common hose vacuum breaker it would have a flat end for a washer to seal.

8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Is the thread about is 1.031 O.D. and have a pitch of 11.5 TPI?

Of course replacing the bib is the right thing in either case.

9. jbnc

jbnc New Member

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. Everything I've found so far wouldn't make a tight seal with that type of end on it.

I've tried three hoses and one of those adapters that allow you to angle the nozzle out for the hose to screw on. Plus the vacuum breaker I bought and the piece I bought at the plumbing supply store yesterday (model numbers in the OP) and nothing will screw on.

That VB you linked to from lowes is one that I looked at. It has a different threading and it looks to the untrained eye just like the one I bought that did not work.

I give up, I'm just going to get the owner to replace it. Glad ithere are professionals that are just as perplexed as I am. Thank you everyone for your input.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
  10. jbnc

jbnc New Member

Sorry, I dont know what all that means.

11. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

1.031 is a little over an inch. O.D. is outside diameter. TPI is threads per inch. At 11.5 TPI, the distance from the middle of the top thread to the middle of the bottom thread would measure just over 1/4 inch.

Those measurements are for a typical garden hose thread.

12. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    quote; Those measurements are for a typical garden hose thread.

It appears he has already tried SEVERAL "typical hose threads" and they did not work.

13. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

My theory was that somebody had mutilated the threads to prevent hose attachment. This could have been a method of working around the requirement of a vacuum breaker to satisfy an inspector.

Of course I could be way off. I am thinking that if the diameter was much different from the standard GH thread, jbnc would have probably stated that. I don't have a theory on why a GH connection would have that shape on the tip, but if the thread fit, it looks as if there would be enough surface to seal effectively against a garden hose washer.

14. quarterball

quarterball Member

My guess is the threads were mashed my the set screw of an add-on vacuum breaker & over the years the VB also damaged the end of the hose thread connection. Regardless, if a hose won't connect the only long-term solution is to replace the entire unit.
    ZRN_BFP-9.jpg