Winterizing question

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin1b

Bill
Reaction score
I'm installing a sprinkler system and have a question. I'm running my main trunk to the valve boxes from a pitless adapter from my well casing. From the pitless, I go to a shut off valve > sediment filter > then up through the frost line and into the trunk which is 18" below ground (above our freeze line). I was hoping to put a valve box above the shut off valve and sediment filter and let it hollow so I can access it when winterizing. However, even though it's below freeze line, since the pipes are exposed (some partially and some fully), wouldn't that create a freezing issue, even though they're below the freeze line?

Bill
Wichita, KS

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Winterizing

It's only a freezing issue if there's water left in there. Can you drain it or blow it out?

I think that if pipes are exposed to below-freezing air temp. it doesn't matter if they are below the frost line. They will freeze, but insulation can help.

Martin1b

Bill
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm also little worried about my tee off of the casing. One side has a shut off which everything after that will be blown out. On the other side, it feeds the house. It will remain pressurized. All of this is below freeze line. I plan to cover this with a valve box and put insulation in the hole. However, the hole will be open for accessibility.

Is this a concern or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Insulation

If it's properly insulated, you should be fine. On super cold days, you can keep the water dripping in one of your indoor faucets just to make sure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks