Winterizing outdoor faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

ropese

Reaction score
Hi all, normally to “winterize” the outdoor faucet I just make sure the faucet knob is in the off position and then I disconnect and pack up the garden hose. I then put one of those insulated faucet covers on. We just recently replaced our heating /water system and so I decided to “winterize” beginning at the shut off valve. Only thing, I disconnected the hose before shutting off the supply/(shut off) first. Faucet was in off position but some water came out of the faucet when I removed the hose. Aside from that, any issue with my performing the steps out of order? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi all, normally to “winterize” the outdoor faucet I just make sure the faucet knob is in the off position and then I disconnect and pack up the garden hose. I then put one of those insulated faucet covers on. We just recently replaced our heating /water system and so I decided to “winterize” beginning at the shut off valve. Only thing, I disconnected the hose before shutting off the supply/(shut off) first. Faucet was in off position but some water came out of the faucet when I removed the hose. Aside from that, any issue with my performing the steps out of order? Thanks
After you shut off the inside valve, and remove the hose, I would open the outside valve, at least for a bit.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I think it's best to leave the outside faucet open. It ensures the faucet can't accidently be refilled, and lets trapped water drip out.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it's best to leave the outside faucet open. It ensures the faucet can't accidently be refilled, and lets trapped water drip out.
I agree. I was only worried about bugs, but those would get flushed out with the first flow. And there would be ample room for bugs with the valve closed, so that first flow with no fine nozzle is going to be needed anyway.