Recommendations for water treatment?

Users who are viewing this thread

AlmnMnstr

Reaction score
Hello all, thanks for the great forum. I'm learning all kinds of new information here. I'm getting ready to replace an old Culligan softener with a new higher capacity softener. I'm planning to add a spin-down filter ahead of it to catch any sand or grit that might come up from the well. My house has no other treatment of the water from the well (pretty deep well, my pump is at 300ft), and I really don't have any complaints with my water as it is. I added an RO filter for drinking / ice maker water.

Iron and radium are common in my county, but my iron tests and gross alpha tests have been negative. I do have a low level of manganese that would be nice to remove. Is it worth putting a Katalox Light backwashing filter in front of my new softener as a preventative measure for any future iron / radium and current low level manganese or just keep an eye on test results and add something in the future if needed? Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

National Testing Laborites test results:
No bacteria found
Aluminum ND
Arsenic ND
Barium ND
Cadmium ND
Calcium 84.2 mg/L
Chromium ND
Copper 0.019 mg/L
Iron ND
Lead ND
Lithium 0.029 mg/L
Magnesium 41.31 mg/L
Manganese 0.012 mg/L
Mercury ND
Nickel ND
Potassium 4.9 mg/L
Selenium ND
Silica 11.2 mg/L
Silver ND
Sodium 43 mg/L
Strontium 5.353 mg/L
Uranium ND
Zinc 0.060 mg/L
Alkalinity (Total as CaCO3) 320 mg/L
Hardness 380 mg/L
pH 7.3
Total Dissolved Solids 490 mg/L
Turbidity 0.3 mg/L
Bromide ND
Chloride 96.0 mg/L
Fluoride ND
Nitrate as N 1.4 mg/L
Nitrite as N ND
Ortho Phosphate ND
Sulfate 13.0 mg/L

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this test sample on your raw well water, or is this after the softener?

What is the hardness? I could probably try to compute that from what you posted, but your report is going to provide that.

AlmnMnstr

Reaction score
That is raw well water after my pressure tank. I believe the hardness of 380 mg/l converts to 22 grains, it’s not written in grains anywhere on my report. I used a cheap hardness test kit that came up with 26 grains.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think that a softener and a cartridge filter, or two, would do it. One before, and maybe one after.

1.5 cuft of resin in a 10x54 tank would be sufficient for two people.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks