Will a 1/2" male thread to 3/4" PEX affect flow to hot water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sbas

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm building a tiny house on wheels and my plumber used 3/4" PEX to my hot water heater. This 3/4" PEX goes outside my wall where I will hook up a garden hose to.

the water inlet flanges I am looking at are 3/4" hose thread but the back side is 1/2" male thread.

I would need to use a reducer to connect the 1/2" copper thread to 3/4 PEX.

Just to clarify: 3/4" hose -> 1/2" male thread -> 3/4" PEX.

My question is - will this 1/2" male thread greatly affect the water flow in my 3/4" PEX to my water heater? Would a regulator help?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the GHT thread receiving water from the water heater, or is the GHT supplying water to the water heater? I suspect in your case, the GHT is the supply.

In any case, I think an adapter that maintains the ID of 1/2 inch copper or bigger would not have a significant pressure drop. It is not the case that the flow resistance is determined by the smallest path, but rather the flow resistance is the sum of the resistance of the various sections of pipe and hose.

Sbas

Reaction score
Hey Reach,

So in other words. I would be fine?

And my water supply will be coming from a garden hose that will feed into my house.

And I made a mistake..looks like the thread is brass. This is the product I am looking at: https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-...F8&qid=1507172461&sr=8-3&keywords=water+inlet

HJ- Because I cannot find any with 3/4" male thread on the inner side! At least for these rv style flanges (I don't want to use just a regular thread without flange because it is going out a very visible area on my exterior wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A short restriction doesn't have the same effect as a longer, smaller pipe, but yes, it will make a difference. The area of a 1/2" pipe is about half of the area of a 3/4" one, but 3/4" pex is about the equivalent of 1/2" copper. Because the pex's ID is about the size of the fitting, the pex is the restriction.

It would be better to use a 3/4" one, but the difference, while measurable, may not be very noticeable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks