Why my expansion tank keep failing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Navien Hater

Reaction score
Hi there,
My first expansion tank with the Navien tankless water-heating system was leaking in about 2 years so I replaced it with a new Calefactio HGT-30-4.8 us gal tank 9 months ago. However, I just found out today, it is leaking again, not event last 1 year?!!!! I have no idea that is the problem of Navien water-heating system or just the low quality of the tanks?
I know I have to replace the tank, again, but just want to get some opinion if my Navien failed me again!!!

Thanks for reading!!!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi there,
My first expansion tank with the Navien tankless water-heating system was leaking in about 2 years so I replaced it with a new Calefactio HGT-30-4.8 us gal tank 9 months ago. However, I just found out today, it is leaking again, not event last 1 year?!!!! I have no idea that is the problem of Navien water-heating system or just the low quality of the tanks?
I know I have to replace the tank, again, but just want to get some opinion if my Navien failed me again!!!

Thanks for reading!!!
Tankless heaters don't actually need expansion tanks. I didn't search the tank you had, but the ones that are used with tankless heaters are tiny, they look more like a hammer arrestor.

What do you mean fall? How are they failing? Your saying leaking, but where?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Post some photos showing the expansion tank connection and showing any tank support brackets, straps etc. Also include a diagram showing the location of the expansion tank in relation to the Navien unit.

Water source: Private well or municipal supply?

Was the expansion tank air pre-charge pressure adjusted in relation to the water pressure normally experienced in your home?

Last edited:

Navien Hater

Reaction score
Tankless heaters don't actually need expansion tanks. I didn't search the tank you had, but the ones that are used with tankless heaters are tiny, they look more like a hammer arrestor.

What do you mean fall? How are they failing? Your saying leaking, but where?
Sorry, it is "fail", my bad. A company installed the Navien combi-boiler. Its not a tiny system so they added a expansion tanks for me.

Navien Hater

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpeg
    IMG_9636.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 120

Navien Hater

Reaction score
Post some photos showing the expansion tank connection and showing any tank support brackets, straps etc. Also include a diagram showing the location of the expansion tank in relation to the Navien unit.

Water source: Private well or municipal supply?

Was the expansion tank air pre-charge pressure adjusted in relation to the water pressure normally experienced in your home?
sure, photos are one the way... the green one is the old one which I replaced 9 months ago during the whole system down...

Attachments

• #NCB-180E-NG.JPG
    #NCB-180E-NG.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 136

Navien Hater

Reaction score
First test the boiler water for ph with litmus paper or another way. Ex tanks like other parts normally don't fail that way. Bladder yes not the tank especially two different brands.
You are right. It should last 5-10 years not 9 months! thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks