Why is my water pressure spiking to 120psi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
when you talk about adjusting pressure repeatedly are you costantly adjusting the screw on the end of the bell? or just opening a faucet and draining off pressure? you cant just loosen a screw and expect your gage to move, you have to bleed off water pressure. you might not understand how this works its real simple but most people dont ever think this through

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Under normal circumstances, the ET is nearly empty. If you knock on it with something, if it makes a thud sound, it's likely shot.

The ET should be pre-charged to your normal water pressure. Then, it will have the maximum space to absorb any of the expansion and will stretch less, making it last longer.

The tank can be installed in pretty much any orientation, but because when it does eventually fail (they all do), it needs to be properly supported. While the air chamber doesn't usually leak much (the valve can if the cap is poor or not tightened well, or the gasket is shot), you do want access to check it.

A telltale indication of a failed ET is that it is full or water, or, if you try to open the air valve, water comes out.

As was said, pretty much any time that the utility does some work on a meter, they will be adding a check valve, if one didn't exist (and maybe replacing it if it was old or leaking). That immediately makes the system closed, and pretty much requires an ET to avoid issues. Water doesn't compress, so any expansion will increase pressure. That pressure isn't great for much of anything in a plumbing system from hoses, valves, water heaters, etc. A PRV with a bypass valve in today's era of check valves on the supply are a waste of money. Even if they open, there's no place for that expanding water to go that way. It's one more thing that can fail and costs more to buy.

uscpsycho

Reaction score
Ideal air precharge is the highest pressure that the city delivers.

When the pre-charge is equal to the pressure setting on your PRV, the tank will normally remain empty. Any water entering the tank while the system pressure is elevated will be returned back to the plumbing system when the system pressure is again reduced equal to the PRV setting.

The ET should be pre-charged to your normal water pressure. Then, it will have the maximum space to absorb any of the expansion and will stretch less, making it last longer.

I'm getting some conflicting info here. Should the expansion tank match the PRV or match the highest pressure the city delivers? And if it is the latter, how would I determine the highest pressure the city delivers?

As an update, I checked the expansion tank and it was way too low. Because my pressure readings were all wonky and I'd been futzing with the PRV, I got a new PRV and installed it at the factory preset of 50psi and then I set the expansion tank to around 55psi. The crazy high water pressure situation is solved, but I need my plumbing water pressure to be about 75psi so I need to adjust the PRV and expansion tank.

Should I adjust the expansion tank first or the PRV first?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm getting some conflicting info here. Should the expansion tank match the PRV or match the highest pressure the city delivers? And if it is the latter, how would I determine the highest pressure the city delivers?
What the PRV is set to if you have a PRV. I had missed the part about the PRV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks