Why I like Thermostatically controlled Shower Valves

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by jadnashua, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Andy

Andy New Member

Lawn Care
    This is interesting. I didn't even know thermostatically controlled valves existed.

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Look at the differences between a thermostatically controlled valve and all others:
    - a thermostatically controlled valve is controlling the outlet temperature, regardless of the pressure changes or inlet water temperatures of both the hot and cold both momentary and long-term (as when the season changes or the WH starts to cool off)
    - all others, you manually adjust the proportion of hot/cold...a pressure balanced valve will try to retain that balance, but has no real effect if the inlet temperatures change, only a pressure change.

So, essentially constant outlet temperature through pressure and supply changes with a thermostatically controlled valve, or a relatively constant proportion of the hot/cold supplies mix.

My vote is the thermostatically controlled valve.

3. Keith Frank

Keith Frank New Member

Thanks for sharing, this is good stuff

4. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Member

I picked up two delta tempassure valves, with rough trim and cartridge, for about 200 each. Thought that was pretty good for a thermostatic. Any other good options that don't cost an arm and a leg?

I also noticed a nice byproduct from this upgrade. The shower is far from the water heater, so normally there is a period of waiting for the hot water temperature to stabilize. With the thermostatic, you can just hope in as soon as the water is comfortable, and it will ramp up to the desired temperature without further adjustment. Saves some time and wasted hot water every day, it wouldn't surprise me if this one mostly pays for itself before the next renovation. I suppose that depends on how long the cartridges last, but I'm hopeful it will be at least 10 years.

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    I have a Grohe thermostatically controlled valve. THe volume control started to leak after 15-years and was easily replaced. The thermostatic cartridge is still going fine. 10-years should be an easy goal to reach.