Why Galvanized Tank and Bladder Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

dyoungers

Reaction score
I just discovered that my bladder tank (Well-X-Trol WX-203) failed so I'm looking to replace it ... I also have a galvanized pressure tank (the bladder tank is closest to the water source) so I'm wondering why I have both, and whether I can pull both tanks out and replace them with one (bigger?) bladder tank as the galvanized tank looks pretty rusty and is probably about 25-30 years old.

I didn't put in the well (and I'm unable to contact the previous owner) but from the information I can gather off the control box (Webtrol) I have a 1HP Franklin 230V/9.6A Single phase 3450RPM motor ... GPM is unknown

any thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave

R

Rancher

You'll get lots of thoughts on this subject!!

First you need to find out if the air makeup device that added air to your original galvanized tank is still operating, it most likely would be in your well casing below the well cap or seal.

I'm guessing that it is not working or it would have filled up the bladder tank with air, so I'm guessing that the galvanized tank is waterloged, and therefor not adding anything to the the system.

So if you replace the bladder tank with one of the same size you will not notice any difference. And you can remove the galvanized tank because it is just adding rust to your water system.

And of course you will be prompted to go to a smaller tank and add one of those Cycle Stop Valves.

I wouldn't.

Rancher

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A WX 203 is not a very large tank to start with. I would not have used that small of a tank with that size pump unless it was installed with a Cycle Stop Valve in the first place. If that pump is also 25 or 30 years old, you may not want to use a Cycle Stop Valve. The CSV will test your motor thrust bearing, and being that old, it may not be able to withstand the test.

Rancher is probably right about your air charge system not working and the galv tank just adding rust to the system. I would remove the galv tank. Replace it with a bladder tank about twice the size which is a WX-251. If you replace it with a similar WX 203, then I would also add the Cycle Stop Valve. I would also be prepared to replace the pump. If the pump does not work with a Cycle Stop Valve, then it would probably not last very long with just another pressure tank, and needs replacing anyway.

dyoungers

Reaction score
Thanks guys ... couldn't think of a good reason to keep the galvanized tank but wanted to get a second opinion ... I will take it out when I remove the bad bladder tank

Dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks