Over The Air Galvanized Tank w/ a Bladder Style Pressure tank working together is possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Marvid

Reaction score
Hello guys, maybe someone can help me here. I searched the internet for days and came out empty handed.

1. Pump is a : Glouds JRS7 3/4 HP
2. Pressurized Bladder is a : C2 Lite CAD by Global Water Solutions model C2N-35GV 130 liters or about 35 gallons
3. Old style galvanized tank Over The Air style tank made by Quick Tanks Inc. Model Q42V; 42 Gallons.

My question is, can I connect both types of tanks together to the same shallow well pump without having issues same way its done with to bladder style tanks?

I know I would need a shallow air volume control that goes from the galvanized, over the air tank to the avc port on the pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
To use a galvanized tank as an extra pressure tank, you will need a way to add air to make up for what gets dissolved in the water. The galvanized tank would have an AVC (air volume control) to release excess air.

But yes, I think they could work together.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you use an airmaker, then the HP tank should be the first in line or else air will enter the captive air tank.
Further to Reach4's comment about an AVC, there are two different types of AVC of which one type lets surplus air out.

Marvid

Reaction score
If you use an airmaker, then the HP tank should be the first in line or else air will enter the captive air tank.
Further to Reach4's comment about an AVC, there are two different types of AVC of which one type lets surplus air out.
This is the air volume control I plan on getting: https://control-products.com/product/f92a-4c-johnson-controls-f92-series/

So to understand it would go from shallow well pump w/ avc --> OTA HP Tank w/ avc -->To my bladder pressurized tank --> my house?

Does it matter the tanks are different sizes?

Does the air volume control adjust to the pressure of the switch or does one need to adjust the pressure switch to the air volume control?

Never in my life have a I used an over the air tank bought it a garage sale for 5$ dollars. So all the help is highly appericated.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That version of AVC lets air in and works in conjunction with a pump that has a port that can suck in air. There is no pressure adjustment needed and the pressure spec is based on what the upper limit is on typical pumps.

The tank capacities don't need to match.

If the HP tank was purchased with the intention to mitigate smelly water or to precipitate iron, then that is the wrong AVC to use as it only makes as much air as will be absorbed into the water. An AVC that expels surplus air and works with an airmaker is what is normally used to treat iron and smell.

Marvid

Reaction score
That version of AVC lets air in and works in conjunction with a pump that has a port that can suck in air. There is no pressure adjustment needed and the pressure spec is based on what the upper limit is on typical pumps.

The tank capacities don't need to match.

If the HP tank was purchased with the intention to mitigate smelly water or to precipitate iron, then that is the wrong AVC to use as it only makes as much air as will be absorbed into the water. An AVC that expels surplus air and works with an airmaker is what is normally used to treat iron and smell.
The purpose for what I want the tank is just to have more draw down before the pump kicks on again. My pump does have an avc port. What kind of avc do you recommend?

Plastic Bottle Type​

AVC-P
The bottle style air volume control acts only as an air charger. The bottle type will eject a full chamber of air into the tank every time the pump cycles, regardless of the water level. This style is limited to an 82 gallon tank or less.

Diaphragm Type
AV100

The diaphragm style acts as an air volume control and an air charger. The diaphragm style will only eject a full chamber of air into the tank with each pump cycle if the water level gets too high. This type works with tanks up to 220 gallons.

Float Type​

AVC-DW-AR
The float type control serves as an air volume control and an air charger, similar to the diaphragm style. The float type will only allow air to be introduced into the system until the float closes the air valve. It also has the ability to add more air into the system since it is not limited to the air volume of the air chamber. This control can handle tanks up to 220 gallons.

Marvid

Reaction score
The original one you spec'd is fine if all you want the HP tank for is drawdown capacity.
Sorry about bad drawing. But thats how I plan the setup to look would that would fine? or am missing something the bladder style tank has a tank tee with a pressure relief valve a and no kink hose bib. both of the 1/4 ports are plugged since thats directly on the pump

Attachments

• 81UJFULq+RL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    81UJFULq+RL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 130

Reach4

Reaction score
If the HP tank was purchased with the intention to mitigate smelly water or to precipitate iron, then that is the wrong AVC to use as it only makes as much air as will be absorbed into the water.
How can that happen -- that no air release is needed?

Marvid: why not get an additional diaphragm tank? Note that the connection between the two should support high water flow to prevent negative effects whether captive air diaphragm tank or the no-diaphragm type.

Marvid

Reaction score

Marvid: why not get an additional diaphragm tank? Note that the connection between the two should support high water flow to prevent negative effects whether captive air diaphragm tank or the no-diaphragm type.
Because I bought for 5 dollars. I want to get use out of it. I dont need the extra draw down just thought it be nice.

What do you mean by high water flow between the two tanks? the discharge for the OTA tank is 1 1/4 and the intake/discharge of the pressurized tank is 1 inch.

Reach4

Reaction score
Example of terrible: The two tanks are separated by 60 ft of 1/2 inch pipe.

Unlikely. Example of great: 3 ft of 1-1/4 pipe.

Marvid

Reaction score
Example of terrible: The two tanks are separated by 60 ft of 1/2 inch pipe.

Unlikely. Example of great: 3 ft of 1-1/4 pipe.
Oh no they would be next to other probably less then 3 ft of pipe. Is the setup I drew fine?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The float valve only lets air in when the water level is too high such as when the water absorbs some air. This only works on pumps that have an airmaker port so it would not work on a submersible. Submersibles need to use a snifter/bleeder/check valve system to make air and they need the other type of AVC that lets surplus air out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is a deep well Air Volume Control. It is designed to let out the excess air for a standard hydro tank, and normally used with a submersible pump. A shallow well Air Volume Control is designed to add air to the pressure tank and to be used with a jet pump.

Marvid

Reaction score
That is a deep well Air Volume Control. It is designed to let out the excess air for a standard hydro tank, and normally used with a submersible pump. A shallow well Air Volume Control is designed to add air to the pressure tank and to be used with a jet pump.
Are you sure?

I thought the fact that float stick was straight meant it was for shallow wells.

Like the one above. And if we look at the same brand comperssion but for deep wells the float stick is bended.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks