Why are solid brass fht hose ends so hard to find now? Only aluminum junk now. Corrosion

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by pman6, Sep 2, 2020.

1. pman6

pman6 Member

anyone know where to buy real brass fht hose fittings?

The garbage they sell everywhere now is aluminum, and will corrode hose bibbs.

even on ebay they advertise "solid brass", and the description says aluminum.

What can be done to prevent corrosion between bibb and hose end? especially for people who leave the hose on the bibb all the time?

Attached Files:

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Real "brass", which has been the backbone of the plumbing industry for hundreds of years has been outlawed by your government. The problem they had in Flint, Michigan was caused by incompetent government officials. But to pace the blame they decided to make brass, or anything with lead in it illegal. Now as you have seen we are paying several times higher price for much lower quality fittings. There was never anything wrong with good old brass. No telling how many billions this has cost the consumer, not to mention the inconvenience. Just more waste by incompetence in our government.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I have not seen aluminium for that, tho that does not mean they don't exist. The common cheap stuff is zinc, another white metal.

Are you actually trying to find something? If so, what? A repair for a garden hose, connection to pex, connection to SIDR pipe? Your picture shows something meant to connect to a garden hose for repair, but clearly you found that already. Are you just lamenting?

5. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    Well I am. Lol!

But to answer the original question use either plastic or Stainless Steel. About the only choice they leave us.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

7. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    The different "brass formulas" are nearly as bad as aluminum.

8. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Im just using cheap plastic ones around the house they last me better than the crap that was on the hose did . I dont move it arround much either or drop ends on concrete much.
    I just bought several and had this ordeal.. Wholsale house was over double for same brand identical item. and 3 or more times more than a nearly identical product from harbor freight. so like 7 or so bucks "wholesale" 3.50 aprox lowes and even cheaper H.F. the three almost the same junk I was caught off guard at my irrigation supply I just threw one in on my purchase only to see price later. Dont you love how whoseale houses assume that the prices dont matter to contractors ? we just pass the cost on

9. pman6

pman6 Member

no. that picture is of an aluminum hose fitting still.

it's what I'm looking for, but I need it in brass

10. pman6

pman6 Member

11. pman6

pman6 Member

the cheap plastic ones don't strip out the screws in the plastic clamp?

12. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

13. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

my hoses last im guessing 6 to 8 years , some probebly 10 years. change ends once or twice a lifetime . maybe Im lucky never paid much attention , im not repairing hoses that often