Whole house filter install on well system

Users who are viewing this thread

darbysan

Reaction score
I have a house that is on a community well system ( 4 houses). The feed into the house is 1 1/2" copper pipe. The 1 1/2" pipe travels across the top of the garage and terminates inside the wall of the house, where it feeds the water softener with 1" pipe. I want to break the incoming feed just after the shutoff valve in the 1 1/2" pipe, and insert a 100 micron spin down filter and one or two cartridge filters (4.5 x 10). While I can find some 1 1/2" inlet / outlet filter housings and Spin Down filters, the 1" inlet /outlet is a more common size.

My question is would inserting a 1" set of filters into the incoming stream, then re-connecting back to the 1 1/2" line have much, if any affect on water flow or pressures in the house. Or should I go ahead and keep the line sizes at 1 1/2" throughout the filter system. I'm thinking it may be OK at 1", since I go down to 1" at the water softener anyway, but I would like some professional opinions.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that one or two cartridge filters (4.5 x 10) will have a lot more pressure drop than converting to 1 inch. I am not a pro.

At least go to 4.5x20, or choose a filter housing that can accept a 20 inch sump later. A 20 inch filter will have about half of the pressure drop of a 10 inch for the same diameter. Put pressure gauges before and after, and best to have a 3-valve bypass so that a bad filter does not take you out of service.

But really, instead of your own spin-down filter, is it practical to have the community well do some of that filtering? Then everybody benefits. I can understand that it might not be practical, but it might be worth checking out.

With your own filters, you don't run the yard water through the filters. So that is an advantage to separate filters. If anybody in the community uses a lot of irrigation water, that would make community filtering less attractive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks