Whirlpool whes48 softener black grit

Users who are viewing this thread

ryker1

Reaction score
I live in Florida, on a well. March of this year replaced old Sears softener that failed with the Whirlpool, so about 9 months new. I have run their cleaning agent on a regular basis, and I keep track of the regen. of the softener on an excel program along with pool data, and it regens. about every 6 to 7 days for our water usage. I let it go auto to decide when. Before the water enters the softener, I have a 1000/mesh Rusco filter, and then a Whirlpool charcoal whole house filter that filters the water. I have (tested yearly), a 1 ppm/iron, and a 10 on the hardness scale.

For every regeneration, it has been normal, until this last one. Went away for thanksgiving, so noticed when we got home, it regenerated on a longer time frame, since we were not there using water. Not sure how many days, but at least 10-12. Never went that long. As you know, this softener has the resin tank inside the salt tank. When I checked the softener upon returning, I found a dark ring around the resin and the softener tank, at a (I'm sure), height of the water on the last regen. On my fingers, and rubbing it on a paper towel, it is gritty. Very fine grit. I don't think it is oily, but the grit makes it seem that way. I have read that it could be magnesium, from the water, but not sure.

Should I be concerned, and/or, remove the salt and do a good cleaning. Or just a couple of regenerations close together. If not enough info, I'll supply whatever is needed.

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score

ryker1

Reaction score
I have the 1000 mesh filter for sand, grit whatever, it's a shallow well, about 75 feet. Everything in Florida is sand. Should have seen when they dug the pool. The other filter, is an approved whirlpool filter, changed every 2 months, (to help the taste and the odor), even though they last for 6 months. Approved by whirlpool. And yes, that should be I'm reading or thinking about manganese.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks