Tannin: 1.2 Parts per Million
Alkalinity: 240 Parts Per Million

Considering cabinet style Whirlpool WHE 44 (44,000 grain capacity) from Lowe's
at $497

Please compare + and - to Fleck 5600 and 7,000

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
An ordinary softener is not going to deal with the tannin.

I don't think the bicycle comparison is apt, or at least it is not communicate well. The classic water softener with a Fleck controller and separate brine tank is very good value for money. It is not a boutique solution.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
...are you serious?/
the whirlpool water softener is a piece of junk
compared to the Fleck unit or the Clack unit..

unless you are only gonna have the cabin for a few years cause the whirlpool water softener is made to last about 5 years, (on average).

Also, dont forget that no one will make repairs to the whirlpool water softener... Ask the freindly jerks at lowes who they recommend to repair the unit.. They dont have anyone to service that junk and ....
No one wants to work on them...

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Both Fleck and Clack maje a cabinet model. With a Whirlpool, you will learn how it works. You may not want to, but you will learn. You get what you pay for. It may be cheap now, but you may end up spending more in the long run.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I think the bicycle comparison is good. If you have even the slightest interest in quality, a Huffy is not one that you would buy. Huffy is (or was) a big name, and they specialized in making the cheapest piece of junk possible. Fleck (like Cannondale) has focused on the higher end equipment.

I am a 25 year field technician and like has been stated, I would never even touch a Big Box store softener. Fleck, Clack, Autotrol, or some of the major brands (Culligan, Kinetico etc.) are made to be easily serviced and used in the field for decades.

Are you wanting to treat the tannin? Do you notive any odor or tea colored water? Does the odor or color bother you? Many times tannins can be left untreated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks