Old softerner is out. Sizing up Replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I think given your iron, a KL tank will probably also take out the arsenic as well as iron and manganese. I don't have suggested sizing for you.

A softener would handle residual iron or manganese.

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Ok, had the Culligan tech / sales rep come out and look at the equipment. As I didn't want to be charged a service call, I asked about upgrading to one of their metered systems. He remembered installing it a long time ago, looked at it for less than 5 minutes. Small tank is the softener, 2 big ones are the air injection and iron / odor removal. He, however, did not test my water but felt confident enough to give me a quote on a new unit.

Here is what was recommended:

HE Softener Clear Plus system. This all in one system treats Iron, Scale and Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg) smell. This system features a built in chlorine generator and chemical injection.

The price for the system is: ~$3,000
9" x 56" softener with 375lb brine system.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
there is no way that $3k culligan system will work for you, at least not for more than a year at which point it will be clogged with iron and you'll have to pay them $1200 to service it. he didn't even test the water? wow.

i've not used a peroxide injection system, but i've heard they work wonders on water like yours. call your local Clack dealer and get a quote for an H2O2 filter and separate softener. probably about the same $3k culligan wants, except the Clack system will actually work. In retrospect, I wish I had done this rather than get an air injection filter.

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Not having much luck around here. People either don't know or don't care what they are doing / selling.

Place I called today quoted me a fleck unit, "higher end model." Without knowing the hardness, how much water we use, or even what is in the water. When asked about testing the water I was told that they just test hardness, ph, and iron and that I'd need a lab to test for more. Quote was $1500ish including $150 for install.

I don't enjoy feeling like I know more about my water or what I want than people trying to sell me stuff. I'll call a few more places tomorrow then it's off to the interwebs.

Tried to find a Clack dealer / installer / anybody, haven't gotten very far with that. I did put a message in through their website, I'll see what they come up with.

Chucky5150

Reaction score
So he, Culligan dude, must of used the water sample from 2003.
watertest-2_50.png

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks