Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Terry, Nov 19, 2005.

1. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Rocket Scientist
    It should at least heat Hot Water. :rolleyes:

2. Bruce S

Bruce S New Member

It's on a well. It does not have an expansion tank. There was not one installed on the original system back in 2001 and the plumber did not even mention installing one for the replacement in 2012.
    Sorry, I wasn't completely clear in my original post. Seems like every time the burner turns on I get the thumping noise but it only recently started happening. I'm would have thought it would have thumped from day one if it was due to expansion. It does have a plastic drain valve and if I remember I purchased it from Lowes. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  3. Bruce S

Bruce S New Member

No. The original WH failed in 2012 (bottom rusted out). It was replaced in 2012 with the current system. So now 8 years old. This is the one that is now thumping. Still produces hot water, but I wonder if I am now living on borrowed time.

Is Rheem or Bradford White still the recommended brands? Thanks.

4. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls

Sensitivity trainer.. and plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    Sorry that I misread your info..... 8 years is not all that old but the lime build up in the unit is
    making it bang and carry on... I never have any luck getting those things to quiet down once they
    come alive ... you can flush it till you are blue in the face and it wont help for long..
    its a battle not worth fighting..

If you have nothing but time on your hands you can totally drain down the heater, then throw 3 or 4 gallons of
    vinegar into the top of the unit through either the t+ P outlet or hot or cold inlets...
    Let the vinegar sit all day long or all night long and it should dissolve the mineral build up....
    Flush it all out and fill it back up... you are gonna take a few baths that smell like salad dressing but
    "in Theory" it should solve the problem.... NO PROMISES HERE....

I have even heard of folks throwing in CLR to really clean out the lime but it really has to be flushed out well.....

I will NEVER do this for anybody--- I have heard about it before but I think you got to be nuts-- its too time consuming and
    how do I charge for my time and effort.??? .. This dont always work....
    this is strictly a DIY project

I would just change out the heater if it is driving you nuts

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  5. MaryBrooks

MaryBrooks New Member

Bought a Whirlpool water heater about 18 months ago. Had it professionally installed. The water heater quit heating. Called customer service. Explained the problem. Customer service acted like they had no idea what part I actually needed. Got the parts. Plumber said good luck with that, after installing the burner assembly. Water heated up once, and after 5 days without hot water and a $160.00 repair bill, the pilot won't keep the flame burning. Couldn't believe it. That's why I've decided to buy myself a tankless water heater because it was very well-written and contain a lot of important information needed when you decide to purchase something like that.

6. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls

Sensitivity trainer.. and plumber of mens souls
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    good luck with that tankless path....... the parts on a tankless are far more complicated and harder to
    repair than a simple water heater.. and can be worse than fooling with the whirlpool heater....

Might I suggest getting a Rheem hot water heater and living happily ever after???