Which part do I need to connect new pipe to existing pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cfipp

Reaction score
I’m doing things backwards – I just laid a lot of sod and now realize I need to expand my irrigation to add an additional head. The area along my driveway is serviced by only two popup spray heads (#1 and #2 in the photos below) and they are inadequate. I would like to extend the piping and add a third spray head (Future #3) on the right side, near the street.

IMG_7040 (Large).JPG

IMG_7041 (Large).JPG

So I will start with what I have at Head #2, as Head #2 is currently the last head on the zone. I dug it up and here is what I have to work with:

IMG_7043 (Large).JPG

I presume that the large elbow on the far left in the photo below is the water supply coming in from the water meter at the street. (Water meter is shown and labeled in the second photo from top.) It makes a hard left and I think it heads up to the house to the backflow preventer and valve box. I won't be touching that. I will be dealing with the 1/2" pipe just below it, shown in the bottom of the photo.

IMG_7044 (Large).JPG

IMG_7080 (Large).JPG

As seen in the photo below, I have removed the popup sprayer (and replaced with a cap, for now). I will be removing the black funny pipe and black funnypipe connector that goes into the white coupler. The funnypipe connector turns easily, so I shouldn't have any trouble getting that out. I will be left with the white coupler. It is glued onto the 1/2" Sched 40 PVC pipe on the left side and the right side is female 1/2" thread.

IMG_7079 (Large).JPG

I will have to continue my thread in a reply post, because I have reached my six-photo limit. :(

My question is essentially what is the best way to connect with that existing white threaded coupler? The installer obviously didn't leave me much room to work, with that group trench and the pipes laid so closely together. (But I can't blame him.) I have drawn up a plan and will put it in my next post.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:

Cfipp

Reaction score
IMG_7082 (Large).JPG

So I will start with the white 1/2" female threaded coupler. Below is a copy of my plan.
Plan (Large).JPG

Finally to my question: What part do I use to connect another 10 feet of Sched 40 PVC piping to the existing female threaded coupler? Should I use another 1/2" coupler, MPT x slip like the one shown in the photos below? If not, what part should be used?
IMG_7083 (Large).JPG
IMG_7084 (Large).JPG

Thanks!
Carol

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think it would be easier to run new PVC piping and to glue the fittings if you can. Otherwise, the threaded male fittings should work on the female fittings. You can wrap the threads three times with tape before threading them up.

Cfipp

Reaction score
Terry, thanks so much for the reply! You have always been great help to me over the years and I appreciate it once again.

You said, "It would be easier to run new PVC piping and glue the fittings". I do plan to run all new pipe (about 15 feet, total) and glue all of the fittings (unless threaded). Thanks, also, for the reminder to use teflon tape. I always use it! Great stuff!

My question is what is the best fitting to connect the new pipe to the existing pipe and it is the only fitting in question. Are you saying that it would be better to cut off the existing threaded coupler and glue on a slip socket coupler to join the next 10-foot section of PVC pipe? I have very little room to work - that hole is much deeper than it looks - and the pipes are very close together. I will have to dig out a lot more dirt (not a problem, really) and then be very, very careful when cutting off that coupler to get a nice clean cut. It will leave me with about 2 inches of old pipe to work with. Better dig a big hole, I guess. It would be sooooo much easier to just take a 1/2-inch Slip x MPT PVC pipe adapter, wrap some tape around the threads and screw it in. Not the best plan?

IMG_7080 (Large) more.JPG

Thanks again! You're the best!
Carol

Last edited:

Cfipp

Reaction score
You know, as I'm thinking about this, I know that with my cutting tool, I can't get a good clean cut that close to the fitting. I will have to make my cut a little farther to the left. That will leave me with even less pipe to work with. Ugh.
IMG_7080 (Large) New.JPG

Carol

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
No need to cut anything. Just unscrew the old black threaded fitting, and screw in your new MPTxslip PVC fitting. Glue the
rest up from there.

Cfipp

Reaction score
Huge sigh of relief! Digging the trench now... will be joining parts shortly. Thanks a million!

Carol

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks