Anal OCD person contemplates decisions around house re-pipe and PEX.

Users who are viewing this thread

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
OK, please bear with me.

First I am a bit anal and OCD, and yes my wife is still with me, ha.

When we remodeled a few years back it took about 4 months before we started because I built a spreadsheet with everything we were buying, links to everything and prices. The good thing was we stayed well within our budget this way.

My part of Georgia it seems is known to have issues with pinholes in copper over time. Well the house is 37 years old and my time has come. 3 easy to access and repair pinholes in last 4 months.

We decided to re-pipe and get ahead of this before something happens and damages some of the work we put into the remodel.

I am a bit handy and while it has been a while since I sweat copper I do feel comfortable attempting this re-pipe myself, especially since the quotes I got are $10-$13K.

I have spent the last month researching PEX-A vs PEX-B then brass, vs plastic, vs stainless fittings.

I get plumbing is like religion, but I am willing to be preached to

For reference I had 5 quotes to do the house, 1 was PEX-A, 3 were PEX-B and one was CPVC. I was all for CPVC until I started reading about how it get brittle over time. I quickly discarded that. I was all about PEX-A but when I asked each plumber why they chose what they did PEX-B plumbers all mentioned some issues with PEX-A and having to have repaired newer builds that had PEX-A in them. Seeing how Uponor pulled the blue/red pipes I suspect this has something to do with it. And I have no basis for this opinion, but the magic of the pipe wanting to get back where it was after expanding seems a little voodoo for me, especially over the years, would it not relax at some point to where it is currently?

As I did more research I see that there are references to PEX-A leaching more and having more or a potential plastic taste. We drinks tons of water form the tape and that would be a real bad side effect if true. Curious what other are experiencing and have found?

I was leaning toward Zurn with their cinch clamps, but I think my decision is being forced as PEX-B (outside of what Home Depot carries) is hard to find. I can get while 100 foot coils, but more on that in a bit. My second choice was Viega, btu to use non-Viega cinch clamp as I was going by the Ryobi cordless cinch clamp tool to make this quicker. Granted using non pipe fittings/clamps lowers the warranty, but I am buying the pipe I trust will last as a warranty claim is useless if I have to rip mu ceiling or walls open again.

I get that in theory PEX-A is easier to work with and bends easier, but best I can tell the documented bend radius for PEX-A and PEX-B is the same 6x the OD of the pipe, the only exception is if you bend against the coil it is double the OD of the pipe.

That leads me to the next decision, sticks vs. coils. The coil will have less waste, but I have read that fighting the coil can be a pain, and then the bend radius can be an issue. That said I double I will have many of any runs that would exceed a 20 foot stick. I have seen videos to unwind the coil, and it makes sense, btu they all show the coil still not being straight. Also if I do PEX-B I will upsize and this be using a lot of 1 inch and 3/4 inch pips for the main line and downsizing to 1/2 inch on the final legs.

Final decision is fittings. I have read brass fittings can have issues, yet many swear by them. They are also thinner than plastic and this do not restrict the flow. Even on PEX-A I have seen it mentions that plastic restrict the flow a bit. If I went PEX-B I was going to use Boshart Stainless fittings to never have to deal with the fittings. If I go Uponor it seems their 3/4 inch brass fittings are back order until May. So if I really want brass I will have to go third part and thus the warranty drops from 25 to 10 years. Even if I do PEX-A my concern is the plastic fitting may impact flow/pressure of flow.

I get it some of you think I am insane, and my wife will agree with you. But as I walk through this I have started capturing pics and videos of the project to put up a YouTube video when done along with commentary as to why I landed on some of the decisions and my experience as well.

I will appreciate any thoughts, feedback or even criticisms supplied. Thanks in advance!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like PEX-A. Brass fittings, especially with hot water, but with your water problems you'd want to go with plastic fittings that a no brainer.

If your worried about the PEX-A use pe-rt. Not PEX-B

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
I am good with pex-a and now deciding Rehau vs. Uponor. I like the idea of brass, but worried as I am not sure if the pinholes around here were the water or the the quality of the copper pipes. Evidently there was some questionable cooper used here in the 80’s. If I knew the water were fine I would opt brass. Downside of plastic is I run my water at 140F and have seen it get upward of 150F. I wish Boshart had stainless F1960 fittings, but they said they are stuck because of ATSM and are looking to do them eventually.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am good with pex-a and now deciding Rehau vs. Uponor. I like the idea of brass, but worried as I am not sure if the pinholes around here were the water or the the quality of the copper pipes. Evidently there was some questionable cooper used here in the 80’s. If I knew the water were fine I would opt brass. Downside of plastic is I run my water at 140F and have seen it get upward of 150F. I wish Boshart had stainless F1960 fittings, but they said they are stuck because of ATSM and are looking to do them eventually.
The plastic fittings addres plenty rated for 150 deg water. You just have to be careful when piping, as to not have pressure put on them with the enhanced expansion and contraction of pex. Those fittings can get some torsion on them and then they just need a tap and can break.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score

The F1960 poly fittings are rated for 180F, but honestly, you should have a mixing valve installed at set it at 140F. Most homes won't pass an inspection without one installed.

John

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
The F1960 poly fittings are rated for 180F, but honestly, you should have a mixing valve installed at set it at 140F. Most homes won't pass an inspection without one installed.

John

Interesting, learn something new every day.

HDtvkeith

Reaction score
Been fighting some what I think are bad copper fitting as I try and redo the copper around the water heater. In the mean time the Pex was support to be delivered 2 days ago and they screwed up, some hopefully Tuesday now. Drilled some of the new holes to route the pex in parallel. My plan is to get as much run in parallel so that the cutover can be quicker.

Here are the pics of all the prep do far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks