Where have all the metal fixtures gone?

Users who are viewing this thread

SeattleSoxFan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
jandmcarpentry.com
I went to install a shower bar/hand-shower fixture that a contractor had left for me and thought better of it when the thing felt like it was going to break in my hands. The entire thing (bar, handle, hose, etc.) was plastic! Everything seemed like it was so flimsy that it might break if you so much as looked at it too harshly.

We ran down to Lowes to see if there was a better alternative and it turns out that they don't even SELL a metal option! They said (as if I get consistently good advice from them) that all the fixtures are plastic because it holds up better than metal. Common sense just doesn't agree.

So what's the deal? Am I really supposed to install this plastic junk? Is it really more durable than it seems? Am I supposed to be glad they finally fixed those flaky metal fixtures that never seem to last? :)

SeattleSoxFan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
jandmcarpentry.com
Both Lowe's and Home Depot do sell metal, but only as special orders. All of their handheld shower units are plastic. Maybe it's just here in Seattle, but I think it's amazing they would stock so many pieces of junk.

We ordered a metal one (in more than color only) online, so we're not going with the plastic junk.

I didn't actually go along with their longevity claim... It reeks solely of cheapness over quality. :)

I was just surprised how out of touch I was with this plastic trend. I don't think I've ever noticed plastic fixtures at all before and I've installed several over the past few years.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They stock and sell junk because the general public will buy it.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
grab bar strength, in hand shower fixtures

i've always wanted to see such strong metal hand shower fixtures that they can be as strong as "grab bars".

I don't get it. Not one manufacturer offers even an option, to buy metal everything including the screws and anchors. They are designed to be barely able to hold together.

david

JohnD

Reaction score
They stock the lower quality models because the general public doesn't want to pay for quality. You can buy any Delta faucet made, and any other Delta product accessory. There are many in stock and many more available to order.

The main problem is that most consumers now have the W@!m@rt mentality. They want it cheap and they want it now.

Dan Pick

Reaction score
AAH........the plastic discussion

Plastic products design and engineered properly are wonderful. That artificial heart in somebody's chest keeping them alive is a minor miracle, I would not want one made out of cast iron so it will last 75 years.

I fully agree that designing a hand held shower with a plastic slide bar is a mistake. I believe everyone breathing knows that they are NOT to be used as a grab bar but I'm sure many a person has steady them self on one before. The ones I have seen "On The Shelf" could not take a good stare let alone someone giving them a yank. The quality level of todays slide bar is junk. I can't believe a Moen or Delta would put their name on a POS of that quality.

I would take a good look at buying a Grohe. Gonna cost a little more but the way Germans over-engineer things it will last a life time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks