When shower is on I am getting a small steady stream of water from tub spout.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by yeto, Jan 27, 2020.

1. yeto

yeto Member

When shower is on I am getting a small steady stream of water from tub spout. What part of the diverter valve needs to be repaired to prevent this from happening?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you in advance for any help,
    yeto

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    some diverters are designed to do that so they open after the water is turned off. If yours is not that way, then you have to replace the diverter spout.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. yeto

yeto Member

It is not designed for water to come out of the spout while the shower is on. Why does the valve have to be replaced? Why can't it be repaired?

5. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

It is easier to just replace the diverter stem. Replacements are fairly easy to get. You just match it to the one you need and screw it in. Easy peasy go have fun.

Attached Files:

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You have 3 pieces of rubber there? Two o-rings and one washer on the end? You could try replacing those 3 with the help of a good hardware store. I am not a pro.

7. yeto

yeto Member

When in the shower position where is the water traveling to get to the tub spout? Is it the "cage" that is worn that is allowing the water to pass?