What is the need for gravel bed in downflow backwashing calcite tanks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sultan

Reaction score
Don't forget that the input and output piping is opposite between Autotrol and Clack.

Will the the input/output be different even in the case of a upflow configuration (with the Clack C1190 control valve)?

The connection diagram at the website i bought the new tank from showed me the same in/out as the autotrol.

Although i have flexible pex piping (with sharkbite connectors) hanging from the ceiling so i can easily switch if needed.

Reach4

Reaction score
The connection diagram at the website i bought the new tank from showed me the same in/out as the autotrol.
For autotrol, the key word is indevout. When viewed from the front, input is on the left, and output on the right. For Fleck and at least most Clack, they outsin and outwin.

So how does that square with your new no-controller system?

Incidentally, you can fluff up your no-backwash upflow calcite by running maybe 10 gpm through it maybe once per month. So consider putting a big honking ball valve on the output line that can direct a big flow to a drain.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The 1190 has "upflow inlet" and "downflow inlet" molded right into the head., The red bypass handles are reversible. They are arrow shaped so changing these to the correct direction helps. See this page for more details. Upflow is fine, just not the preferred method. It has several limitations that downflow does not have. Downflow should be backwashed regularly.
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/116-117
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/30-31
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/32-33

Sultan

Reaction score
So how does that square with your new no-controller system?

Incidentally, you can fluff up your no-backwash upflow calcite by running maybe 10 gpm through it maybe once per month. So consider putting a big honking ball valve on the output line that can direct a big flow to a drain.

Thank you.

I have not received the new tank yet.

With regard to "honking", How big should it be? My plumbing to the tank is 3/4 inch, since it is sharkbite, i can always add another valve on the output side and drain it to the utility sink next to the tank location. Will 3/4 input give me enough gpm for a proper backwash?

Reach4

Reaction score
With regard to "honking", How big should it be? My plumbing to the tank is 3/4 inch, since it is sharkbite, i can always add another valve on the output side and drain it to the utility sink next to the tank location. Will 3/4 input give me enough gpm for a proper backwash?
I was exaggerating a bit. If you find the words "full flow", that would be the deal. Even if not full flow, a ball valve will normally pass more water than a regular spigot. You can see how many seconds it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket to "calibrate". I was suggesting you avoid the normal faucet.

3/4 should be plenty.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks