What causes this

Users who are viewing this thread

cameron

Reaction score
I have a 1 hp submersible pump located in a lake using it for irragation yesterday was cleaning silt from pump just had turned it off about 10 minutes prior to cleaning it and when I touched the pump it knocked the fire out of me. Do you think something is wrong because the breaker was turned off, is there something I should check and what causes this? the pump seemms to be wired correctly it is 220 and it is wired to a 100 amp service box located in garage. Before when I moved the pump and it was turned off for a while it didn't do this, I ran 500 ft. of 10/2 wire any help would be appreciated.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a bad breaker. With the breaker off it should have 0 voltage on both legs. I would not check the the breaker I would just change it. The breaker could be intermitent and might show 0 voltage when you test it. Test the new breaker even though it is new. What brand is the breaker box?

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Treat everything as "Live" until you get the problem resolved.

Assuming it is a 2-wire pump because you ran 10/2 wire.

Is it wired for 115 Volts or 230 Volts?

I assume that you have a ground connection.

If you have a 2-pole breaker and it is turned off, you should have no power at all to the pump. If you have any voltage with the power off, there is a circuit problem.

It might be possible that there is a capacitor in the motor that is discharging, but that is not usually a problem with AC motor circuits.

Maybe you got a lightning strike.

Using a meter, check for resistance between the power wires and the ground wire. It should have high resistance (open circuit).

If you hang the pump from a float or otherwise support it off the bottom, you won't have silt problem.

cameron

Reaction score
The breaker box is a Square D 100 Amp. when I check resisitance on the on the two legs and ground I get open reading. Is this correct any thing else I can check to verify, do you think it is building capacitance up because when I ran it and it sat for awhile I didn't feel the tingle only after I ran it and immediatly touched the pump did I get bit

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
There are no capacitors in two wire motors.

I have seen however 230 volt circuits wired with two different breakers. Two 115 volt breakers located in different places in the panel. I learned a long time ago not to assume wiring was done by a licensed electrician.

Can you describe the breaker?

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks