Wet vent replumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

MaxTheLion

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a bathroom in Florida. Would this proposed layout pass IPC code?
Kitchen sink is connected to 3" PVC vented through the roof. Wet vent the vanity, tub, and toilet through that same vent. The toilet is approx 9' from the vent. Appreciate the assistance.
Bathroom Remodel.jpg

Attachments

• Bathroom Remodel.pdf
    35.4 KB · Views: 65

Reach4

Reaction score

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also, the vent for a trap must connect before the trap arm falls more than one pipe diameter. So the lav will need a dry vent connection in the wall behind it. That dry vent can rise in the wall and connect in the ceiling with the dry vent for the kitchen sink.

Then if you want to use the lav drain to wet vent, you need to keep it separate from the kitchen drain. For example, it could pass over the kitchen drain at a higher elevation (if possible) and pick up the shower drain and then WC drain. Only then would the bathroom branch drain join the kitchen sink drain.

Cheers, Wayne

MaxTheLion

Reaction score
Wet venting is for bathroom stuff, and must not include kitchen drainage.
This is my first venture into plumbing so thank you for sharing your knowledge. Would you happen to know the reason why the kitchen and bathroom DWV are to be kept separate? My goal would be to hopefully vent the entire system through the single existing roof penetration. The kitchen sink would be dry and I thought over-sizing the downstream pipes would help since they would be wet.
Bath Plumbing.jpg

Also, the vent for a trap must connect before the trap arm falls more than one pipe diameter.
Hi, Wayne. Thanks for contributing. Could you clarify what you mean by this? The vanity drain would go vertical once in the wall and be tied in to the three inch DWV. Wouldn't it theoretically be wet vented in this manner before excess horizontal fall/slope?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the thought why the allow bathrooms to be wet-vented is because they don't expect the bathroom pieces to be often used at the same time. But the why is not that important I think.

The lavatory will not be wet-vented, but its drain line can wet-vent other bathroom stuff. Assuming there is a roof vent elsewhere

MaxTheLion

Reaction score
The lavatory will not be wet-vented, but its drain line can wet-vent other bathroom stuff. Assuming there is a roof vent elsewhere
Unfortunately there is currently only one roof vent. If I vent the kitchen through the roof and run the drain separate, can I then T into that vent with the vanity higher up, as Wayne suggested? Then kitchen and lav would be dry with shower and toilet wet through the lav?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. As Wayne said, you can combine vents 6 inches or higher than the flood level of the fixtures they serve. This combining could be in a wall or attic.
2. You could replace one of the vents with an AAV (air admittance valve). A house needs at least one real TTR (thru the roof) vent somewhere, but others can be AAVs.

So venting will probably not be your problem. Your sketch implies that you can have two drain levels. So you can make it work given the restrictions, I think. Bring the kitchen waste above, below, or around the bathroom waste.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi, Wayne. The vanity drain would go vertical once in the wall and be tied in to the three inch DWV. Wouldn't it theoretically be wet vented in this manner before excess horizontal fall/slope?
No. With wet venting, the venting occurs when the trap arm joins the drain that has already been dry vented. And venting has to occur within one pipe diameter of elevation of the trap outlet.

So to wet vent a lavatory, you would need to join the lav trap arm to a dry vented drain at the trap elevation or within one pipe diameter of fall. You can't do that with a dry vented drain in the floor below. You could do that with, say, side by side lavatories, where one lav is dry vented and it wet vents the other lav.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks