Wet Spot after replacing Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

BigTuna

Reaction score
Hi!
I changed my toilet out and noticed that the grout by the toilet was wet. I bought a new ring "Perfrect Seal" by Next and changed it again. The wet spot appeared again. I did the same thing again with a new wax free ring by Korky. Each time I lifted the toilet I didn't see any pooling water under the bowl and the tile was dry, and the flange was dry. The flange sits under the floor not sure if that makes a difference. Any ideas what can be causing the wet spot? Do you think the toilet is not mounted correctly?

20200618_075903.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
when you pulled toilet was wax squished much? Pretty common to need 2 wax rings. if its even 1/4 below it might need 2 , some toilets seem to sit a bit higher ( never measured ) . I never go out to set a toilet with only one ring. so that is settled.....
I wouldnt say common kind of rare but we who have installed hundreds or more know that you get bad ones cracked Ive had a little hole that leaked defected toilet possible but most likely the wax seal needs a double up!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm not a plumber and only once did I try one of these non wax rings. I almost immediately tossed it and went out bought a wax ring. I'm sure they work if you can get the bowl to perfectly sit on them. One little hint to know if the wax ring sealed, look for wax at the bolts holes. As it is squished, wax will spread out and fill in all or part of the hole.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not a plumber and only once did I try one of these non wax rings. I almost immediately tossed it and went out bought a wax ring. I'm sure they work if you can get the bowl to perfectly sit on them. One little hint to know if the wax ring sealed, look for wax at the bolts holes. As it is squished, wax will spread out and fill in all or part of the hole.

thats a good sighn . Never tried the sponge type seals, wax seems good to me

BigTuna

Reaction score
Thank-you for all the replies. Jeff you were right it need two rings. The flange was low and I guess couldn't get good pressure to make a seal.. I added an extender and bought a new perfect seal. It seems to be dry as of now. Keeping on eye on it. I appreciate all the feedback it put me in the right direction to resolve.

Attachments

• 20200618_185826.jpg
    20200618_185826.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 20200618_181815.jpg
    20200618_181815.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 20200618_191548.jpg
    20200618_191548.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 173
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks