well water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

brianjohns

Reaction score
My problem is: If I run my water for about 10 minutes I lose all water pressure and almost run out of water and the points are still closed on the pressure switch. So I replaced the pressure switch and pressure tank. The problem is still there. The well is not going dry either. I replaced the pump with a goulds pump 3 years ago. Not sure what else to try or what it could be?

brianjohns

Reaction score
Gary Slusser said:
So the well isn't going dry, how do you know but... what do you think is the cause of your no water problem?

What type pump do you have?

I'm 99% sure the well is not going dry. I do not have any idea what the cause of my water problem.

The pump is a 1hp goulds deep well pump. The well is 160 ft deep.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
brianjohns said:
My problem is: If I run my water for about 10 minutes I lose all water pressure and almost run out of water and the points are still closed on the pressure switch. So I replaced the pressure switch and pressure tank. The problem is still there. The well is not going dry either. I replaced the pump with a goulds pump 3 years ago. Not sure what else to try or what it could be?

You need to separate some of the effects before you make changes like new pressure tank and switch.

If the contacts are closed and no water, then check:

Is there voltage at the switch? Check between wires and from each wire to ground.

If there is a cotrol box, is there voltage after the control box? A control box means you have a 3-wire pump.

Is there some kind of device like a "Pump-tec" that will shut off the power if there is low water?

If there is voltage after the control box, is there current in the wires (requires clamp-on ammeter)?

If current, is it at nominal, below nominal, or above nominal?

If below nominal, then the pump is running but not pumping as much water as it should. Probably bad pump or low water in the well.

If above nominal, then probably a leak in the pipe between pump and tank; maybe down in the well.

After you get answers to the questions above, you have a shot at identifying the problem, or getting someone here to tell you what to check next. Without the electrical tests, everyone is guessing.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
brianjohns said:
I'm 99% sure the well is not going dry. I do not have any idea what the cause of my water problem.

The pump is a 1hp goulds deep well pump. The well is 160 ft deep.

Oh, OK but ya see, although you don't want it to be a dry well, you don't KNOW it isn't so you assume.... Like you assumed it was the switch and tank... (which BTW, it couldn't be).

So since you have no idea what's wrong you must maintain an open mind making no assumptions or jumping to conclusions while checking out everything suggested OR... you replace things like the pump, power cable, drop pipe, or the well!

Is your pump a two line deep well jet pump or a submersible (in the well)?

Do you have any filter or a water softener UV light etc?

Does/has the pump ever run when no water is being used?

Is the top of the well out of the ground where you can open it?

Speedbump

Reaction score
You said after 10 minutes the water goes away and the points are closed. Does this mean the pump is still running? Or does the motor shut down?

I am trying to figure out if it's an electrical problem or a well issue.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks