Well questions. Need imput from those who know

Users who are viewing this thread

coldspring

Reaction score
Hello, I have a getaway property in the northern part of the country and for the next few yrs its summer use only. I had a well put in 65ft, water 35 ft down. I decided to skip the pitless until i build and use a well seal. My well guy who has been in the area may yrs and comes highly recomended wants to set the pump at 50ft come through the seal to a tee ,cap it and run the side leg to a check valve and on to the pressure tank. The cap on the tee will be used to drain it off back into the well for the winter. He wants to remove the valve from the pump to achive this. I had intended to put a tee and check valve down in the well at frost level with a bleeder to cover for the freeze. This system will only be used to fill water jugs and last but not least a shower. Will removing the valve on the pump instead of leaving it in and putting one at frost level do any damage to the pump . Not being a pro in the least, I am all ears and as i said need sound imput from those who know

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Do not remove the check valve from the pump. Do not add another check valve anywhere. Just put a tee with a bleeder down the well a few feet. When you shut off the pump and open a faucet, the loss of pressure will open the bleeder and drain the pipe to that point.

coldspring

Reaction score
Do not remove the check valve from the pump. Do not add another check valve anywhere. Just put a tee with a bleeder down the well a few feet. When you shut off the pump and open a faucet, the loss of pressure will open the bleeder and drain the pipe to that point.
valvaman I thank you. A clean, clear to the point answere . Thats the way shes goin in

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you don't have a check valve on the tank, the pump will run when the pressure bleeds off downhole

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
All of my irrigation wells are on well seals with a tee like you described. I just remove the cap on the tee and put my air hose down inside the drop pipe and blow it out down below the frost level..

coldspring

Reaction score
If you don't have a check valve on the tank, the pump will run when the pressure bleeds off downhole
Ok , so the 60lb of pressure generated by the pressure tank is not able to seat the ball in the bleeder ? Or is the seated ball in the bleeder not able to hold a seal that does not let water seep by over a period of time under pressure? Without experience its easy to assume and we all know where that can go.So thats why I ask those who know

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Ok , so the 60lb of pressure generated by the pressure tank is not able to seat the ball in the bleeder ? Or is the seated ball in the bleeder not able to hold a seal that does not let water seep by over a period of time under pressure? Without experience its easy to assume and we all know where that can go.So thats why I ask those who know

It only takes about 20 PSI to seat a brass or rubber bleeder ( I don't like rubber bleeders though). With the only check valve being on the pump itself, the bleeder will not open when the pump is working at 30/50 or 40/60 pressure. But when you turn off the pump and open a faucet, as soon as the pressure gets below 20 PSI the bleeder will open up and drain the pipe from the faucet all the way to the bleeder.

I do weekend houses and hunting cabins this way. When you leave you just turn off the breaker to the pump and open a few sink faucets. When you come back just turn on the breaker to the pump and close the faucets after the air has come out, and you are back in business.

coldspring

Reaction score
It only takes about 20 PSI to seat a brass or rubber bleeder ( I don't like rubber bleeders though). With the only check valve being on the pump itself, the bleeder will not open when the pump is working at 30/50 or 40/60 pressure. But when you turn off the pump and open a faucet, as soon as the pressure gets below 20 PSI the bleeder will open up and drain the pipe from the faucet all the way to the bleeder.

I do weekend houses and hunting cabins this way. When you leave you just turn off the breaker to the pump and open a few sink faucets. When you come back just turn on the breaker to the pump and close the faucets after the air has come out, and you are back in business.
Thanks again valveman,thats the way its going in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks