Well Pump Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikerf12

Reaction score
Hello,

I have what I believe to be a shallow well. Concrete cover that can be moved off, approximately a 5’ diameter concrete casing.

The question I have is I have been looking into a Grundfos Scala 2 pump to replace my old rusty well pump that appears to be a ticking time bomb.

Well inspecting the current setup, it would appear there is two line going through the foundation to the well. The Grundfos pump appears to only have an input and output?

Would this pump work for my application?

Reach4

Reaction score
Would this pump work for my application?
No. That is intended as a booster pump.

A nice upgrade would be to use a 1/2 HP submersible pump, possibly horizontal, in the well. This pump should have a flow inducer, which is cheap to make.

One pipe could be used for water, and the other could be used for electricity. You might be able to put a plastic pipe into a steel pipe, and avoid rust in your water.

Mikerf12

Reaction score
No. That is intended as a booster pump.

A nice upgrade would be to use a 1/2 HP submersible pump, possibly horizontal, in the well. This pump should have a flow inducer, which is cheap to make.

One pipe could be used for water, and the other could be used for electricity. You might be able to put a plastic pipe into a steel pipe, and avoid rust in your water.

It says on the Grundfos literature it can be used as a shallow well pump. Not having the tank would also save a lot of room.

Reach4

Reaction score
It says on the Grundfos literature it can be used as a shallow well pump. Not having the tank would also save a lot of room.
Then I guess it could be used, but I doubt you will see anybody here recommend that you do that.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your falling for the hype. Those Scala pumps sound good, but will never last a long time like your last pump did. A pressure tank, at least a small one is very important. Those pumps have not been on the market very long, and there are already lots of bad reviews. They were suppose to replace the MQ model. But they haven't stopped making the MQ yet, as the Scala is living up to the hype. That is what happens when a pump company designs a pump to increase cash flow, instead of making a decent pump that will last.

Get a regular and good brand of jet pump. Then if you want constant pressure and to be able to use a very small tank, adding a Cycle Stop Valve will do that for you. The Scala is a variable speed pump, and the CSV has been replacing variable speed pumps for 25 years now. Every few years they come out with a NEW variable speed pump that is suppose to solve all the problems they had with the last version of variable speed pump. They hope you fall for this hype about 3 times before you realize it is just hype.
Jet Pump PK1A.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks