Well pump replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

mdhogan5@mac.com

Reaction score
Yesterday we lost water to the house. A plumber came by, diagnosed the problem as a bad pump. He tested the control panel, power at the well head, and amp draw when the controller kicked on (26 amp draw) concluding that the pump itself was bad. Since I had time to do some research, I had in my head that a 3/4 HP, 10GPM pump in a 400 Ft. well would run about $1200 - $1500....maybe $1800 tops installed. The quote the gentleman just gave me was $885 to pull the old pump, then $3899 for the new one....so figure $4700.
They are going to use the existing control panel and switches.

Am I correct in thinking this is high? I can't even find a pump with those specs for over $800 on line. I'm sure there are, but is that much a difference worth it? I'm in Maryland, but I don't think that should make too much of a difference.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even a Grundfos 3/4 HP with control box is less than $700, and they are usually the highest. Now if you are being charged $4,000 to install this $700 pump, then it must be a very difficult installation. Is the well in the middle of a three car garage, under high power lines, or do you need a nuclear submarine to get to it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I recommend getting estimates from some other places, preferably well and pump businesses-- not a plumber.

Depending on the conditions in the well you might need all new pipe, particularly if the old is galvanized iron.
A proper installation would normally include new pump wire, a new bladder tank, and a pump control box.
(plus pipe, fittings, and lesser misc. supplies)

It's not unheard of for businesses to work a 50-60% profit margin on parts. This would mean double the best wholesale price you can find. Don't bother looking at the junk at the big-box stores.

For labor, $100 to $150 an hour is pretty common here in the midwest. For the average install figure 3-5 hours. Some charge extra for the boom truck, fairly enough. Some charge mileage.

I'd be real curious what your plumber had in mind..........

mdhogan5@mac.com

Reaction score
So I've already received another quote from the well folks that installed the original pump 16 years ago. They quoted me a Gould pump, same specs, installed for $1400. (sigh of relief). The well head is 5 feet from my paved driveway, about 4 feet away from the corner of a shed, but open other than that...

They're coming by tomorrow for the install, so I'll post an update.

I think you're right: go to a well company for well work. The plumber was way out of line.

Mark

mdhogan5@mac.com

Reaction score
So I've already received another quote from the well folks that installed the original pump 16 years ago. They quoted me a Gould pump, same specs, installed for $1400. (sigh of relief). The well head is 5 feet from my paved driveway, about 4 feet away from the corner of a shed, but open other than that...

They're coming by tomorrow for the install, so I'll post an update.

I think you're right: go to a well company for well work. The plumber was way out of line.

Mark
Went back and read the second reply. The plumber's quote was for just the pump, new wiring for the shaft and removal/installation. The control panel and other electrics are fine. The pressure tank (big one, 86 gallon) is only 5 years old, so that's good to go too.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The pressure tank (big one, 86 gallon) is only 5 years old, so that's good to go too

That depends on the brand. There are a lot of tanks out there that would just love to last 5 years.

bob...

bake

Reaction score
Thats a crazy price. I just had a 300 ft well drilled and installed everything new for under 5K. That includes the new well and casing and a 1.5hp pump.

mdhogan5@mac.com

Reaction score
Update:

The original well installers came by this morning. I explained the diagnosis work done yesterday by the plumbers, and how they had arrived at the answer of a pump replacement. They politely said they'd like to verify, and I sent them into the basement. Within 5 minutes, I heard running water! Turns out the pump was fine, the controller was a little flakey and a solenoid contact on the regulator needed to be cleaned. While they were at it, they replaced the particulate filter, refilled the softener, and looked over the rest of the system. Total price: under $800. If you take out the softener, filters and the system check: about $400 for the new controller, a couple of other parts, and labor.

Amazing difference. Makes me wonder how many people would have just gone with the first price!

Thanks for your feedback.

Mark

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Your story is sad, but all too common.
We have been out to check a well that has quit working. The owner was told by another co. that the pump was bad and would need to be replaced. The price that they quoted was not cheep by any means. Anywhere from 1200 to 2000 for a new pump plus labor.

After looking the well over we found that the capacitor was bad.
For less than $150 they were back in biz, and a lot happer than they were an hour before we got there.

Getting references, just looking into a co. back ground, or even word of mouth can go along way for a quality job (vs) getting shafted.

Travis

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks