Well cap leak

Users who are viewing this thread

jdz

Reaction score
upload_2020-2-3_17-51-34.jpeg
I have a well cap that I cannot keep from leaking. It leaks from the bolts that squeeze the rubber seal in the middle. The leak is from the inside out. I have tried everything I can think of. I fix one and a different one starts leaking. I’ve used rubber washers on the bolt heads and nuts, I have used caulking on the bolt heads, I have also tried strip caulk (which works great for the pump wires). Any suggestions? I’m tired of pulling this thing apart. this is the type of we’ll cap I have.

upload_2020-2-3_17-51-34.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Those are called well seals. Well caps are usually what you call the thing you put on the casing when you use a pitless. No big deal.

I have a well cap that I cannot keep from leaking. It leaks from the bolts that squeeze the rubber seal in the middle. The leak is from the inside out.
Is this well under pressure (artesian well) and leaking water, or are you saying that the water is leaking into the well from above?

jdz

Reaction score
Those are called well seals. Well caps are usually what you call the thing you put on the casing when you use a pitless. No big deal.

who cares?

Is this well under pressure (artesian well) and leaking water, or are you saying that the water is leaking into the well from above?

we will call it an artesian well, if you read my post you will see that I stated it leaks from the inside out

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a true artesian well. The seal is designed to keep surface water out & doesn't always seal higher artesian pressure in.

If you have a plastic seal, try using a cast steel one with bigger bolts so you can get them tighter.

Another way to deal with this is to dig a trench, fill it with gravel and create a drain to carry excess water away from the well to a low spot on the property.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
JDZ.

A drain trench is not an acceptable option here in Wash on a flowing artesian well.

I usually use steel rather than plastic well seals. I have found that they will contain 3-7 psi of shut in pressure. I normally plumb a pressure gauge into the well seal to monitor artesian pressure. If the well has a higher shut in pressure than that, I fabricate a flanged well seal. That is good for well over 100 psi.

The highest shut in pressure well I have drilled has been a little over 20 psi. The highest artesian flow I have encountered has been 3-400 gpm. There are artesian wells here in Washington that have had flows in the thousands of gallons per minute. Couple of years ago there was one drilled across the border around Vancouver BC. It hit an uncontrollable partisan flow. Last I heard it had cost around six million dollars to remedy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks