Watts 70A wont come apart

Users who are viewing this thread

frankjc

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Watts 70A mixing valve attatched to my oil fired boiler for domestic hot water. It is barely letting any hot water through. The pipe that connects to the HOT side is hot, the mix side is not hot. It is adjusted all the way hot. If I shut off the supply to the cold connection, I get no water at my sinks, etc.
Anyways, I tried to loosen the cover to see if it would come apart, and it seems fused together. Is it a bad idea to heat it with a torch? I know it's probably a better idea to replace the whole thing, but I have no experience sweating pipes.
Thank you for reading.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
They do make a repair kit for the Watts 70A, so they do come apart. You can try heating the body of the valve after thoroughly draining all water from it (otherwise you're wasting your time), but I wouldn't overdo it. The adjustment knob looks to be plastic.

I would try two small pipe wrenches and put some effort behind it. You'll want two wrenches to make sure you don't overstress your pipes when twisting.

Also, if it's an older one, it may have a range higher than is allowed in certain jurisdictions. The newer ones are 100 - 130F, but I recall seeing some old ones that were like 130-160F. I would call Watts and see what they think, and if you have the older higher temp valve, see if the rebuild kits changes the range.

John

Fitter30

Reaction score
Valve is limed up probably needs to cut out soaked in vinegar or lime a way. With the valve out can work on it without bending the copper.

frankjc

Reaction score
What is the procedure to install the repair kit? The instructions are not very clear to me. Does the spring just hold it on?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks