Waterline crossover???

Users who are viewing this thread

TimmyG

Reaction score
Sorry I'm not sure what to call it for the thread title....
Is there an easier way to determine if my cold water line is somehow connected to my got water line without tearing apart my walls???

Here's my dilemma.

In replacing my water heater I discovered a pex connector leak in my hot water line. So I disconnected everything again drained the hot water line (so I believe) and left the cold water active so the family can still use water. Shutoff valve on the cold to the water heater is closed so that part is obviously not flowing.

So both 3/4 water lines that would connect to the water heater are dangling there. 24 hours later, the hot water line is still dripping even with all the faucets on the house open to the hot side to get it out.

Here's the weird part. If I run cold water in the house which is still active, water will aggressively flow from the hot water line into a bucket I have on the floor even though technically it's not connected to any water input! Its not a full heavy flow but it's like it's collecting somewhere still. Totally perplexing.

Secondly, the 2 handled bathtub and shower in the master bedroom should still have at least cold water active to it at least but both those handles offer no water. Where's the cold????

I was trying to be nice and give the family water while I worked on the hot leak but got frustrated and just turned off the well. Forget it.

But I'm still concerned about the connections.
Where is this water still coming from in my hot line???

Would the builder have a plumbing schematic of my house? Its 15 years old.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a "cross connection" between the hot and cold supply lines at EVERY faucet in the house. Turning a faucet on will allow
cold water to run into the hot lines, if the hot supply valve is open.

Many shower valves are designed to shut off if one of the supply lines loses all pressure. Just because there's 2 valve handles
doesn't mean it works like the old 2-handle shower valves used to.

It is perfectly normal for an open water pipe to drip for days. There's plenty of residual water clinging to the pipe walls.

TimmyG

Reaction score
Thank you!!!! At least I don't feel like I'm going nuts now.

That makes a lot of sense.

My last house built in the 80s had hot and cold lines crisscrossed out of the water heater that a contractor did.
So I'm no longer suprised by things.

I feel better now that I don't have to rip out my walls yet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks