Waterboss 900, how to open media tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

NLucier

Reaction score
I have my Waterboss 900 apart and ready to swap out the resin. My problem lies in I can't figure out exactly how to open up the media tank itself. My understanding was that I spin the top off, the part about 6 inches or so across with part of the valve body on it, but I don't see a seam there to do so. About 1/3 the way down the tank, where it stops flaring out it looks like there may be what I'm looking for, but I'm not certain.

I've been searching all evening for the solution and asking if anyone can tell me what I'm looking for, and a good idea of how to actually spin the thing apart. The manual on the Waterboss site (which seems to be what everyone points to) does not show the tank exploded out, so can't really get an idea there (if it is there, what figure to look at?).

The unit is 7 years old and was working very well until pretty much all of a sudden we completely lost water pressure. Tried the "cleaning and reseating" suggested by Waterboss, but that didn't help for more than about 30 seconds. I'm confident the problem is the chlorine that I can now smell when I run a bath for my kids and that the resin just isn't going to last the 10-20 years here that I keep seeing (Southern Arizona with very hard water).

Thanks!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Have you tried calling the Waterboss HelpLine?

From the Owner's guide:

From 8 am to 5 pm EST, use the 800 HelpLine: 1-800-437-8993
The HelpLine is available to help answer questions about specific water problems,
appliance installation and operation. When calling the HelpLine, please have this guide
and the serial number of your appliance available. Your serial number may be found on
top of your valve assembly

NLucier

Reaction score
I have sent a query into them as I was not able to call in today. I was just hoping that someone out in the wild would be able to tell me through experience rather than trying to read it off of a badly written service manual.

NLucier

Reaction score
There is a plug on the bottom of the tank tank is used to empty the resin and refill. It is a pain to do.

Thanks for the help! Found the plug and did the replacement. Filling is a pain, but not sure if that is because the replacement resin I have is slightly damp (think really good beach sand for castle building) and didn't flow the best without some help. Once we had a process though, using a long screwdriver as an auger to "encourage" the flow by swirling it through a homemade funnel (top of gallon milk jug that fit the fill hole very well), it went rather quickly. The system is hooked back up to the house and ready to go....once I get salt, since apparently I can't plan that well.

Hopefully this thread helps in a later search for someone else with the same issue.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Resin is damp when new. It also does not require salt when first applied. New resin is already charged and ready to soften water. I know what a pain it is to replace it in a Water Boss system. Glad you were able to accomplish the task.

MattWillman

Reaction score
I have my Waterboss 900 apart and ready to swap out the resin. My problem lies in I can't figure out exactly how to open up the media tank itself. My understanding was that I spin the top off, the part about 6 inches or so across with part of the valve body on it, but I don't see a seam there to do so. About 1/3 the way down the tank, where it stops flaring out it looks like there may be what I'm looking for, but I'm not certain.

I've been searching all evening for the solution and asking if anyone can tell me what I'm looking for, and a good idea of how to actually spin the thing apart. The manual on the Waterboss site (which seems to be what everyone points to) does not show the tank exploded out, so can't really get an idea there (if it is there, what figure to look at?).

The unit is 7 years old and was working very well until pretty much all of a sudden we completely lost water pressure. Tried the "cleaning and reseating" suggested by Waterboss, but that didn't help for more than about 30 seconds. I'm confident the problem is the chlorine that I can now smell when I run a bath for my kids and that the resin just isn't going to last the 10-20 years here that I keep seeing (Southern Arizona with very hard water).

Thanks!
Could you possibly help me with the resin replacement for the waterboss 900? I've had my tank for 10years with no problems but I feel like it is time to replace the resin b/c at some point it is going to go bad and I want to get ahead of it. Plus I am planning to get a new water heater so timing is right for that as well.

dudite

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! Found the plug and did the replacement. Filling is a pain, but not sure if that is because the replacement resin I have is slightly damp (think really good beach sand for castle building) and didn't flow the best without some help. Once we had a process though, using a long screwdriver as an auger to "encourage" the flow by swirling it through a homemade funnel (top of gallon milk jug that fit the fill hole very well), it went rather quickly. The system is hooked back up to the house and ready to go....once I get salt, since apparently I can't plan that well.

Hopefully this thread helps in a later search for someone else with the same issue.
How much resin did it take and what kind did you use? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks