Water trickling out of faucet in bathrooms

Users who are viewing this thread

Pktaske

Reaction score
So I have 2 bathroom ranch on well. Pressure tank and above ground pump are in utility room on one end of the house. Bathrooms are on far end of the house. On slab and hot and cold water lines run underneath (in slab I presume). I have a 1.0 Filox filter set up 4 feet downline of pump that has been in service since 2007. Very high iron. 20ppm at least but no hardness.

Up until 2 weeks ago, everything was good. However, first my cold water in one bathroom started trickling out. Toilet also taking forever to fill. Hot water was sort of ok but now is also slow. Now water is starting to slow in other bathroom. Sink in kitchen ok so far (its midway between pump/tank and bathrooms).

Whats the best way to check this? I assume there is clog gathering in the pipe at the other end of the house? Air pocket? How do I pinpoint the problem?

I rebuilt the Fleck head about a month ago and it seemed to work ok until also 2 weeks ago. Now not backwashing - just also a trickle coming out of backwash drain (normally shoots out gallons of dark red water). Would the Filox media be escaping and flowing down the other end of the house? Wouldn't I see some evidence of media coming out of faucet/toilet?

Thanks for any help....

(I turned the stainless bypass valve to bypass the iron filter and water still trickled at bathroom. I then pulled the valve off and opened it up over a 5 gallon bucket. Water flowed with heavy pressure so the well/tank are working).

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Check your aerator screens.

delta-aerator-with-tool.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Screens were first thing I pulled out.
Was the next things reading the pressures at the pressure switch and on the water heater drain using a garden hose thread pressure gauge?

Even if we imagined Filox escaping, I don't see it making it past the WH. So how much drop between the pressure switch and the water heater?

Filox takes a lot of backwashing flow to properly backwash. But if that media had turned to a concrete, the bypass should have let your water bypass that. What is your Filox tank -- an 8 inch diameter tank? 20 ppm iron is a big big load.

I suggest you look at installing more taps for pressure gauges.

Pktaske

Reaction score
Was the next things reading the pressures at the pressure switch and on the water heater drain using a garden hose thread pressure gauge?

Even if we imagined Filox escaping, I don't see it making it past the WH. So how much drop between the pressure switch and the water heater?

Filox takes a lot of backwashing flow to properly backwash. But if that media had turned to a concrete, the bypass should have let your water bypass that. What is your Filox tank -- an 8 inch diameter tank? 20 ppm iron is a big big load.

I suggest you look at installing more taps for pressure gauges.

10"x54#
1.0 CF Filox

So....I can test the water heater pressure but how do I test the lines at the other end of the house?

Reach4

Reaction score
So....I can test the water heater pressure but how do I test the lines at the other end of the house?
You can also hook up to laundry taps.

There are aerator to garden hose adapters.

If you can figure out your aerator thread, it is easier to find the right adapter. Remember that pipes with no flow will not have pressure drop. But a garden hose adapter on the lavatory would let you run the tub, and watch the effect on the pressure.

But even just measuring the pressure drop at the WH while running water to the tub can tell you something. For example, if the WH pressure drops about the same whether you run hot or cold to the tub, then the blockage is before where the pipe to the WH splits off from the cold line.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks