Water Treatment Saga Continued - Acid Neutralizer

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is the DLFC installed with the number markings facing the control valve? The DLFC is directional and will not work correctly if installed backwards.

Since you are using a Fleck 5600 valve which will only support 7 GPM maximum backwash flow, can you observe any additional lift when Back washing with the DLFC removed?

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Is the DLFC installed with the number markings facing the control valve? The DLFC is directional and will not work correctly if installed backwards.

Since you are using a Fleck 5600 valve which will only support 7 GPM maximum backwash, can you observe any additional lift when Back washing with the DLFC removed?

Yes, I installed the DLFC correctly with the numbers facing the valve and the flat side facing the barbed fitting.

I have not tried to remove the DLFC button yet entirely, that will be my next thing to attempt.

Reach4

Reaction score
So what should my next steps be? Do I need more than 7GPM to lift 150lbs of calcite in a 10x54 tank?
I think your testing suggests you are not getting enough flow. Can you test the flow down the drain? A pressure gauge on the beginning of the drain line would be interesting.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Ok, just ran it without a dlfc or dlfc retainer. Same situation, little to no bed lift.

My watch and then calculator says I was flowing close to 12GPM based on time it took for well tank to draw down from cut out to cut-in.

Im beginning to suspect the vortech tank, maybe the distributor tube is cracked or something.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok, just ran it without a dlfc or dlfc retainer. Same situation, little to no bed lift.

My watch and then calculator says I was flowing close to 12GPM based on time it took for well tank to draw down from cut out to cut-in.

Im beginning to suspect the vortech tank, maybe the distributor tube is cracked or something.
Interesting theory. If you could pressurize the distributor tube with air, it should support about 1.8 psi without bubbling. I don't know what test setup might measure that easily. That is pretty close to what most people could do in blowing up a balloon.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
My guess is all is well. Fresh calcium carbonate tends to be difficult to backwash. In my bench testing here we usually see very little lift, less than what is typically expected. it is important to separate the bed, but calcite tends to act a little weird sometimes depending on the size of the calcium carbonate. Try this old school trick, put the system into backwash and hit the side of the tank in the middle with the palm of your hand. The tank should feel like a drum, not a rock. it should reverberate if you are getting lift.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Before coming to the conclusion the Vortech tank is defective, before Ditttohead posted, I had planned to suggest removing the 5600 and inspect/replace the O-ring within the valve socket where the riser tube connects to the valve. A missing or damaged O-ring will allow leakage so some backwash intended to flow down the riser tube to the bottom of the media, could be flowing directly to drain at the top of the tank.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Before coming to the conclusion the Vortech tank is defective, before Ditttohead posted, I had planned to suggest removing the 5600 and inspect/replace the O-ring within the valve socket where the riser tube connects to the valve. A missing or damaged O-ring will allow leakage so some backwash intended to flow down the riser tube to the bottom of the media, could be flowing directly to drain at the top of the tank.

I just had it removed to put new calcite in it. Even though it has the fill plug, its a lot easier to load 3 bags through the top.

I didn't inspect the oring in intense detail, but it did look OK. I also applied a little DOW 111 food grade silicone lubricant as I usually do with the orings on my potable water stuff and didn't feel any nicks or issues.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
My guess is all is well. Fresh calcium carbonate tends to be difficult to backwash. In my bench testing here we usually see very little lift, less than what is typically expected. it is important to separate the bed, but calcite tends to act a little weird sometimes depending on the size of the calcium carbonate. Try this old school trick, put the system into backwash and hit the side of the tank in the middle with the palm of your hand. The tank should feel like a drum, not a rock. it should reverberate if you are getting lift.
I'll try that later today and report back, good suggestion.

Thanks.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
Without a DLFC, I grabbed a rubber mallet and tapped on the tank with my ear up against it. Definite tone change. When I shut the water off by turning the ball valve feeding the tank, I could literally hear the calcite settling back in the tank. Sounded like a bag of sand being poured out. Also, I noticed 1" less calcite after this test than I started, so I shot a bunch of if out the drain. Obviously enough lift.

I reinstalled the 7GPM DLFC and repeated the test. Also had a tone change when backwash was running when hitting with mallet, but much less so. Also less pronounced 'sand settling' sound afterwards. I'll leave this 7GPM DLFC in for a bit and watch my calcite levels...if it drops faster than it should based on my PH then I'll assume more is going out the drain and I'll lower to a 6GPM.

However I think i'm good. Apparently the "35%" bed expansion figures in the literature is a little exagerated...

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without a DLFC, I grabbed a rubber mallet and tapped on the tank with my ear up against it. Definite tone change. When I shut the water off by turning the ball valve feeding the tank, I could literally hear the calcite settling back in the tank. Sounded like a bag of sand being poured out. Also, I noticed 1" less calcite after this test than I started, so I shot a bunch of if out the drain. Obviously enough lift.

I reinstalled the 7GPM DLFC and repeated the test. Also had a tone change when backwash was running when hitting with mallet, but much less so. Also less pronounced 'sand settling' sound afterwards. I'll leave this 7GPM DLFC in for a bit and watch my calcite levels...if it drops faster than it should based on my PH then I'll assume more is going out the drain and I'll lower to a 6GPM.

However I think i'm good. Apparently the "35%" bed expansion figures in the literature is a little exagerated...
I wouldn't worry too much. As long as the calcite is being consumed, you should be ok. If you notice it solidifying on the bottom again, just pull the tank and spray it out every couple of refills. You'll be an ace at it in no time. Silver linings.

Reach4

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much. As long as the calcite is being consumed, you should be ok. If you notice it solidifying on the bottom again, just pull the tank and spray it out every couple of refills. You'll be an ace at it in no time. Silver linings.
I would not want to get practiced in that.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would not want to get practiced in that.
The alternative is to add an upper screen and get a new control head with more flow. I believe he can make due with what he has, as long as service flow isn't compromised.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks