Water treatment distributor Size

Users who are viewing this thread

jm13004

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm putting my new water treatment system together and have a question on the size of my distributors. My new house will have a 3/4 HP pump in the garage next to my backwash filter and softener (both are 10 x54 tanks). I was planning on running 1" PVC to my system. The inlet to my house is shortly after that with 3/4" PEX ( all main feeds in the house I ran 3/4" PEX). The main reason I'm using the Clack WS1's was for the 1" porting and reduction of friction loss through my water treatment system. It appears that the upper/lower baskets as well as the down pipes are 1.05". I think this is 3/4" internally. Should I change them out to 1.3" (32 mm) for true 1" piping or not worry about. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Don't worry IMO. 3/4 PVC is substantially bigger inside than 3/4 PEX. I am not a pro. Your WS1 diagnostics step 7D will show the peak flow:
STEP 7D – Flow rate, maximum last seven days: The maximum flow rate in gallons per minute
that occurred in the last seven days will be displayed.​
Typically that number is unlikely to be over 7 gpm.

Protect outdoor PVC and other plastics from the sun with paint or other. You mentioned the garage, but I suspect the well piping might be in the sun.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
to go to 1.32" (1" PVC) it would require a different control valve. The 1.05" riser tube is more than adequate for your application. You would not be able to tell the flow rate difference between the two on a 10x54" tank.

jm13004

Reaction score
Thanks Reach and Dittohead! I'll leave everything in place . How about plumbing from the pump to the backwash filter and softener .....should I make this 1" or 3/4" PVC? The equipment and pump are right next to each other. I'm assuming this doesn't matter much either.

Reach4

Reaction score
My new house will have a 3/4 HP pump in the garage next to my backwash filter and softener (both are 10 x54 tanks).
It is important for a suction pump to have a big pipe from the well to the pump. I don't know what your pump can do, but you could go 1 inch to where you tee off between the yard water and the house water. Yard water will not be going though the filter or softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks