Water supply from curb to house in San Diego California

Users who are viewing this thread

Klouster

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out the best pipe type and methods for replacing an outdoor pipe to the house. My research indicates type K copper, Pex, or CPVC are all acceptable? What are the bend rules, it’s California so it’s not that deep, I think code is 12”

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
type L or pvc very common as well 18 inch depth unless theres been a change pvc has been used far more than any other material for 30 years though I think pex is getting a good share today. I dont see that much copper underground on homes, other than higher end service work . I would not bury copper thats not sleeved bare in ground.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Type M copper is allowed by the UPC for residential work outdoors underground.
PVC is the cheapest junk for a water main and though allowed by most jurisdictions, a poor choice. It tends to break under ground expansion contraction and becomes embrittled over time. We replace dozens of broken PVC mains near the house or meter every year on hillsides especially.
CPVC has never caught on in northern CA so not readily sold at the supply houses.
Around here in N. Calif., mostly copper for water mains. Either M or L. 12" earth cover.

Klouster

Reaction score
I think PEX seems way easier, I don’t have to maneuver it, can just lay down one roll and follow the ditch to the house. Seems straight forward, PEX type A? Lay a bed of sand, roll it, do copper from house to underground and connect the PEX to the copper there? It’s California so the water supply enters the house above ground. Are there any threads that explain this?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont think cpvc has ever really caught on in so ca either though it was close to pex for awhile. CPVC used inside homes is thin copper tube size . sch 80 ive heard of used but never seen it. Schedule 40 pvc isnt so bad on well compacted ground, but poor installations are common . and copper is no stranger to underground leaks are very common . Ive been out of the home building game for awhile Ive seen very few new homes built with copper water service maybe a few homes go up that are over a million bucks . but on repair work running new mains not uncommon to run copper. I wouldnt recomend type m and again wouldnt bury it without sleeving it

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
klouster, Very familiar this is my area never quite did it that way with pex but thats What Ive seen lately as you describe. So at the house your coming down underground with a 90 a piece of pipe going to a pex barb. some like several feet of copper for a ground but Im a plumber and uncertain on that. also I belive the 12 inches of depth applies to metal and not plastic pipe needs 18 inches (verify) and a tracer wire. The thing I do like about pex is no joints except at the end conections

fcrick

Reaction score
Keep in mind pex will degrade in sunlight, so anywhere not buried would need extra protection. I recently had my water line replaced with uponor pex-a (buried 2' down) and it went great with a single pipe running the whole span from the meter and right through a concrete wall to the shutoff. They wrapped it in some insulation and ran a tracer wire tied to it with big zip ties they left pointing upward.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would be a poor way to pipe it with the pex coming out of ground on a typical house with it exposed on outside of house as is common in the area. adapting to copper underground best bet. fcrick good suggestion on tracer wire and protecting the pex.
Ive heard storys of pex allowing contaminants to leech into the pipe, so if any of that is true you might concider what its wrapped in. Havent studyied it to find out, but with plastic potable water lines any type of tape, glue , sealants or paint might have effects

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW I just came from supply house A guy was loading a fair amount of copper and grey plastic sch80 1 1/2 or 2 inch So I asked him not knowing and it was sch80 CPVC for underground. (I thought it coulda been PVC) Just a coincidence Personally sch 80 laid well wouldn't concern me . Of course If I was building on unstable land like around San Francisco or in the hills where the land is always moving like Palos Verdes or on a cliff in Malibu I might be more concerned.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks